How bad of a crush is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesnt look like a ****ty mill. It's pretty big and electric. I asked for double crush but I still get whole grains. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post to view.
The guys are really nice, however I dont think their mill is set to get a good crush. I even tell them i am a BIAB brewer.

Oh well, I'll be requesting a mill and a new burner for Christmas. My current burner takes forever to heat 2.75 gallons to a boil. No way it will be able to handle boiling 5 gallons.

Their gap is too wide. You are deep in Bayou Classic country, should be pretty easy to get a good burner.

Incidentally, wrestling, then eating a 6-8' long un-tethered, un-muzzled gator is on my bucket list. If you can make this happen, I might be able to hook you up with a nice burner. :rockin::rockin:

Their gap is too wide. You are deep in Bayou Classic country, should be pretty easy to get a good burner.

Incidentally, wrestling, then eating a 6-8' long un-tethered, un-muzzled gator is on my bucket list. If you can make this happen, I might be able to hook you up with a nice burner. :rockin::rockin:

Never wrestled any gators but ate quite a few over the years. Some good and some down right BAD. If you're ever in the area, look me up. Summer time is good for gators.

They can be a nuisance when fishing. The chase your corks and scare the fish away but they are fun to hook on a fishing line and fight.

There are tons of Bayou Classic burners down here. I have one but it's too small.

I just received this grain in the mail from a very popular online retailer. I ordered it milled but it appears that at least 50% of the grains are completely intact. I think this is a pretty terrible crush but I'm still pretty new to all grain so I don't have a lot to go on. Either way, I plan on contacting the retailer when they are open tomorrow to discuss this with them... I am not happy about it.

So, just how bad is this?

1/2 cup just for scale:

bIRKaz9.jpg

1 tablespoon:

XN4pxcw.jpg

Same tablespoon, sorted:

u31tHTR.jpg

Way too many "old maids"! Definitely need to reduce your milk gap.

I've never heard of a burner that can't quickly boil 2 3/4 gallons, is it working correctly?

It's a banjo type burner on an outdoor stove. It's the BTU's and it's low pressure. I just need a dedicated burner, like the KAB4.
I also have a jet burner that I use for seafood boils but dont really want to use that for brewing.

So I got my replacement grains today. They are still not crushed properly (although they are slightly better than the grains in the OP) AND they forgot to include the half pound of crystal malt that was included in my grainbill.

Good effort on trying to make things right but they failed. I won't be doing business with them any more.

Back