WTF is CrankenStein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Where is the new site for Crank and Stein grain mills and how are they being sold, now that there's been that split?

Old URL says 'Forbidden....

And how long until the big roller version (2") of the Monster Mill MM-3 comes out?

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/

Since I need to also fabricate a drive motor setup, hopper and stand, and it's one of the big ticket items I need to acquire, I'm wanting to get this purchase taken care of, and then there's all this change, interruption of product and controversy.

The BC is not where I want to go....I'm looking at the 3 roller, bare bones mill variety, but comparisons are hard to do nowadays....

-I've just dispatched an e-mail, maybe I will be able to answer my own question and give that info to others...- ;)

Usually, a "forbidden" means your trying to get to a filtered site from within your firewall. Are you trying to get to the site from work?

Yeah the crankandstein site is now www.crankandstein.net

I just bought the Monster Mill MM-3. You can get it with 1/2 inch drive axle as well. I went with the regular 3/8 inch and it works great. Adjust ability is very easy. It's also an inch longer than the CS which was one of my deciding factors. More surface area means faster crush. It was also a little less money than the CS 3d model. I don't know when he'll come out with the 2 inch model, but if you email him, I'm sure he'll give you an idea of when he hopes to get them out.

yeah, uh, thanks, but first of all, this site is dead....

http://www.crankandstein.com/

So, in the original query by the OP...I was looking for some first hand, current knowledge of the debate/war/offerings/new offerings....from a consumer standpoint, not a stir-the-pot post.

This is who, as of now I would trust...

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/productsnew.htm

...and who I asked for unveiling info....

...of which I received prompt and sincere reply:

'Can you give me an estimate of when the large roller version of the 3
roller mill may be available? I'm considering the stainless roller upgrade for
better wear resistance also, if that is pertinent to your answer.
>
> Thanks,

(Henry Hill)'

"(Henry Hill),

I do plan to have a 2" version of the MM-3 at some point in the future, but
I'm afraid it will be a bit later...I'm concentrating on some marketing,
and the base/hopper setup right now, and will look into the larger mills a
little later. It could be in the next few months, or the summer before
they're ready...I just don't know yet. I'm trying to grow the business
organically, and expanding the product line too fast can cause issues.
Stainless for our mills won't make a difference in wear, as the standard
steel we use is at least as hard as the 303 stainless we use. The
difference will be the corrosion resistance. ..........................(unquoted product comparison)................................ I really wish I could pin down a date for you more, but all I can really do is provide a guess.

Thanks,

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware "

Just comparing the websites tells me a lot in the attention to detail and actual concern for the customer-but you may see it differently-YMMV...

And then there's Bobby_M's respected 'buyer's remorse'.

Wasn't looking for a comparo war or owner testimonials, just testing the market-waters for current availability/offerings and imminent new product release time-frame.

It appears that I may be pushing in the clutch and coasting, just to see how the traffic shakes out....I'm a patient dude...(and I can get my grain smushed free)...

My guess is that 'out-of the box', 'plug 'n play' is where the sales numbers are and it will be interesting to see how a 'full boat' version of the venerable MM series plays in the non-DIY HB'er market. It is probably make or break time, but Fred has a reputation and I would put money on his success...

Just my 2 copper-plated zinc...

The Crankandstein site has not one picture. From my own experience running a web based business, no pictures means no business unless you have a spotless reputation and lots of word of mouth advertising.

Interesting

Just to elaborate a bit on my problem with the original Crankandstein. I got the adjustable 2-roller one but the problem I had was probably completely separate from the model number. The end plates obviously have to be milled such that both the top and bottom edges are cut at a perfect 90º to the faces and that the bearing bores are also perpendicular to the faces. I'm not sure which it is, but something was off. When I mounted to a perfectly flat surface, it caused the rollers to bind.

The important thing to mention is that I never brought this to the attention of Fred (the company rep at the time) because I found a workaround and needed to mill that weekend. I'm pretty sure that I would have received good support or a replacement had I tried. I was just being lazy and didn't want to wait for a replacement and ship the other one back. I'm just annoyed that it was manufactured so shodily. I wouldn't have a problem going with monster mills because I know that they're being built by someone OTHER than the original Crankandstein guy.

Out of pure curiosity, I wonder what kind of support there is for people who have problems with original crankandstein mills. I guess I'd have to contact Don now?

I found pictures of the CS mills on Ebay. Fred was the one that set up the web business and the website originally. When he left CS and started Monster Mills, he took the website with him (his part of the partnership). I'm surprised Don hasn't at least added pictures to his site. It isn't that hard to do.

That said, I'm very happy with my MM-3. I can't wait to brew with it and will just after x-mas.

Bobby_M said:
Out of pure curiosity, I wonder what kind of support there is for people who have problems with original crankandstein mills. I guess I'd have to contact Don now?

Yeah, I would contact Don. I emailed both Don and Fred with questions about their respective products and both were quick to respond with helpful info.

From all accounts I've read online, Don offers good support for his product. I bet if you email him your concerns, he'll help you out.

I don't want to get into the whole split up business as it really didn't play a role in my decision. I went with what I perceived as the best value. The MM-3 was cheaper and 1 inch longer, thus bigger and Fred's reputation for taking care of the customers are what sold me.

Bobby-

It is simple to completely mill the end plates in one setup save for the side holes that must be added for locking the setting.

First, standard size stock is held in soft jaws bolted to a machine vise. Soft jaws are just steel jaws that are not hardened, that have been milled to provide a ledge (instead of needing parallels) on each, to support the aluminum workpiece and then clearanced on both sides to the finished length of the workpiece to allow an endmill to drop down beside the work on either side and sidemill with the endmill tool to square the sawn ends and make them to correct length. The bushing holes are center drilled (spot drilled), reamer-drilled, and then reamed to size for pressing in the bushings, later. Some newer CNC's have a simple canned program to allow for lettering of a desired size font in block letters-Haas for instance.

BUT, if the mounting surfaces are the uncut edges held by the vise jaws, and are not later milled to square that edge, then there can easily be binding of the rollers due to an out of square condition, when bolted down firmly to mount the mill.

To make this clearer, the side plates should milled 90 degrees out of orientation with the operator to have the mounting edges (top/bottom edges, when mounted) squared by side milling. With a CNC, each and every part will be cut to the same size/height this way, and the edges that matter will be 'qualified' by having been machined square to the large face of the endplates. If the sideplates are milled in the same orientation in the vise as they are used, and only milled in one setup, the sides of the part will be square, but unless another setup is used to mill the factory rolled edges, they will not be square to the face.

So, were all four edges of the side plates milled? If not were the top/bottom edges milled at all?

Latest posts

Back