Falconer's Flight IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrogantDusty

Reaction score
Let me know what you think of this recipe. I've put it together from stuff I had laying around.
5G
10lbs Gold Malt Extract
1.4lbs Briess Caramel 40L (steep)

60min - 2 oz Falconers Flight
45min - 1 oz Falconers Flight
1min - 3 oz Falconers Flight
Dry Hop - 3 oz Ahtanum

Your thoughts?

Looks real good but that's a ton of caramel for an american ipa. You have to consider that there's prob some caramel or carapils(5%ish) in your lme already. Maybe knock your caramel down to 1/2#. Your beer might not be the color you looking for without the big cara addition but it'll finish much drier.

Cheers!

What is the point of the 45 minute addition? Move it to 60 and get more bittering (and/or use less hops).

Why the Ahtanum. Why not dry hop with FF?

I think I would change the 1 minute addition to maybe 1.5 at 5 minutes, and the 1.5 at flame out, and steep it there for 20 minutes before cooling. Ideally you want the brew off the heat before starting the flame-out hop steep.

As DP said reduce the crystal to about 0.5 lbs.

I'd probably sub a pound of table sugar for a pound of LME. IPAs should be a little dryer, and that would help.

That beer, my friend, is an IIPA!
I'd move the 45 min addition to 15, if 2 oz is enough to bitter where you want it with all that extract. I like to hop burst my ipa's

Back