Wyeast 1056 - Harvest - Then?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBigDog

Reaction score
OK, I'm planning to harvest some Wyeast 1056 from an IPA I'm currently brewing. I'm new at this, and still don't 100% understand the compatabilities.

What should I brew to re-use this yeast? I would really like to do a porter, but I'm not sure if this yeast will work.

I was also thinking of brewing the AHS Arrogant Bastard clone recipe.

Any suggestions? Any AG recipe is fine.

I would prefer something cheap, since I have never harvested yeast before. Will I screw it up?

Just follow the "yeast washing illustrated" sticky and you'll be fine!

As far as beers to make, 1056 is one of the most neutral strains there is. You can make just about any style of beer where you want a "clean" taste, and it attenuates well. You won't want to use it in Belgians or English ales where a yeast character is desired, but you can use it in just about anything else you'd like!

I use it in my Arrogant Bastard clone, as well as many of my APAs, ambers, IPAs, stouts, cream ales, etc.

Most people use WLP 007 or Wyeast 1098 for AB.

That being said, Stone won't tell us what they really use. It's a kind of game for them--they're very forthcoming for all of their other beers.

The "Chico" strain (WLP 007, Wyeast 1056 or US-05) is always a good place to start.

Edit:
"Most" is probably a strong word. Those who listened to CYBI heard that the yeast is probably something close to WLP 007 etc.

I'd recommend making the starter a day or two early then normal. I've had a few jars of washed yeast that took an extra day to get going. I usually make starters on weds to brew on sunday and have underpitched because of this. I'm still new to the proccess and working out the kinks...

I follow the yeast washing sticky, and when I end up with a lot of washed yeast I store it in my fridge- some have been in there over a month, and on brew day I take it out and let it warm up. I cool my wort and pitch. if the yeast isn't in a large enough supply I toss it in a starter wort and give it a day to burn through the sugars and multiply. the washed yeast stays good for a while.

I've never done a yeast starter, and am not sure if it's necessary. I was hoping to just be able to let the washed yeast warm up, then pitch.

My washed yeast has probably been in the fridge for 2-3 months, which might have something to do with it. However it's probably better to pitch more then not enough. I'd recommend a starter.

I recently put 1 gallon of water boiled and cooled into the bottom of a 10G cream ale fermenter, poured it back into the jar, and let it settle 20 mins, poured the yeast in suspension into 2 1qt canning jars, and I bet there's at least 4oz of yeast in there..you could probably warm decant and pitch that... See what MrMalty.com says

FWIW I plan on decanting and putting the yeast into baby soda bottle test tubes to make room in the fridge... I should get at least 4 !!!

Back