Kegged my first lager!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
Well, I've gone over to the cold side and finally kegged my first lager. It is my first attempt at cloning a Penn Dark lager. The next one that I will try to make will be an Oktoberfest beer. I figure that it would seem like a good time to brew one up in the coming month and have it ready for September/October.

That's some serious planning-ahead!

How did you regulate your fermentation temp on the lager? Did you build a fermentation chamber with a cooling unit? Did you do the temperature step-increases over time?

The only lager I've done so-far was fermented in a corny keg with a stopper wedged in the top. It was the only container that would fit inside my kegerator and I just kept it at a constant 48 degrees or so... seemed to work out alright but I'd really like to step up my game the next time I try a lager.

I got a separate small 5.0 cu ft chest freezer to help regulate my temps especially in the summer months. So I figure now in the winter when my house temps don't go over 70, I can use it as a lager fridge. So I fermented at 56 degrees, I did a diacetyl rest at about 62 degrees, then stepped down slowly to 38 degrees and lagered there for two months. I can't wait for room to open up in my keezer so that I can connect it up to a tap.

Latest posts

Back