What kind of kegs are these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That a good question...I've never seen them before. My first thought was converted milk cans but either way just take screw drive and press down the poppit valve so you can release the pressure.

Use a screw driver on the "IN" port. If the in is for gas then the dip tube should be above the liquid and you won't get a bath.

Look like some sort of milk tank or something?

Upon further inspection I see they are Firestones. I still have many questions about them though. Why does one have a thermometer in the out valve and why is it burned to heck on the bottom. Am I going to be able to find replacement seals for them or will the corneilus ones work?
Isla February 2009 157 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Am I going to be able to find replacement seals for them or will the corneilus ones work?

The Cornelius o-ring kits should work, but all metal parts, poppets, plugs, tubes, etc are different. They are all available, but it takes some looking. Northern Brewer and MoreBeer both have some Firestone parts.

You will probably need a new poppet to replace the thermometer and possibly a new plug. Don't worry about the pressure relief, kegs can take over 100 psi. You can buy and add relief valves, but they are a bit expensive.

Latest posts

Back