flavour? colour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Just an interesting thing I've seen lately. People, who live in the USA are using the British spellings for a lot of things, especially the ou/o things. Not just here, but other sites I read and such.

I expected this to be a post about how color affects the flavor of a beer. I opened it to post an OT smartass remark about your spelling. Turns out, that's your point in the first place. Disappointed.

I think people in the US are just becoming horrendous spellers. Spellcheck is awesome...except that it's becoming an excuse for poor writing. SWMBO works with a girl who writes TERRIBLY. She just puts ideas down in what she thinks is a logical progression without ever correcting a mistake, using proper punctuation, or completing her sentences. Then she hits "Grammar Check" and "Spell Check," accepts the results, and sends them to COURT ON BEHALF OF CLIENTS!!!

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I forgot my point here - I don't think some people even know the difference between color and colour, or flavor and flavour.

I sometimes use Colour or Flavour or Grey or wanker or knickers or irregardless or wot or bum or shag......... I could go on.

I grew up in South Africa and when I moved to USA, 5 years ago, my spelling changed. I was still in high school at the time and would get marked for spelling words the "English" way, and writing the date wrong, we go date/month/year. Also my accent changed, but I have not forgotten South African slang.

Whiskey® said:
or Grey or

I actually prefer that spelling for some reason.

irregardless

That's, eh, not actually a word. Not a proper one anyway.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless

It reminds me of the phrase used here "I could care less" which implies that the person does in fact care, but the understood meaning is that anyone who says that actually doesn't care at all. What the hell? Is it so hard to say "I could'nt care less?"

Yeah, anyway, about British spellings.....I think it's a trend aimed at pseudo-sophisticated yuppies and general morons. How many "shoppes" and "theatres" have you noticed as well? IMO, too many. I could go on about social and political reasons not to associate with the UK, but that might start a fire in here. :D I don't want to get on Orfy's bad side either. ;)

Brew Runner said:
I actually prefer that spelling for some reason.

That's, eh, not actually a word. Not a proper one anyway.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless

It reminds me of the phrase used here "I could care less" which implies that the person does in fact care, but the understood meaning is that anyone who says that actually doesn't care at all. What the hell? Is it so hard to say "I could'nt care less?"

Spot on, I wouldn't use it in a thesis, but find it quite usable on forums and e-mails. I tend to consider it more of a word then some of the other garbage that has entered our lexicon like "bling".

One word.

E N G L I S H.:)

If you want to change it go get your own language to play with.;)

J/K

I was watching the BBC news the other day and there was a story about a "Copter".
I don't want the BBC to reach down to to the people when it comes to language. I want the people to reach up to the BBC.

All I have to say is, grrrrrr.

My pet peeves:

Double negatives
saying " I seen that...."
saying "on accident" instead of "by accident"
using "ignorant" incorrectly

My biggest pet peeve:

pronouncing "especially" as "eXspecially"!!!

My pet peeves:
people who say "where at?"
people who say "John an me are going......." instead of "John an I are going....."

landhoney said:
My pet peeves:

Double negatives
saying " I seen that...."
saying "on accident" instead of "by accident"
using "ignorant" incorrectly

My biggest pet peeve:

pronouncing "especially" as "eXspecially"!!!

One of my wife's friend (not a very bright bulb) said lingerie in conversation and pronounced it "ling - er - ee" .... yea, I didn't say anything, I just took a deeeeep breath.

Back