Strong American ALe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcross13

Reaction score
Beer is drying out much more than predicted. At 14% ABV how long should I leave in fermentor and then bottles. I am thinking one month and six months.

Recipe OG 1.085 predicted 1.095 with sugar

predicted FG 1.022 Reading after six days, three days after sugar addition, 1.013
6lb pale malt
3lb belgium wheat
1 lb cara pils

step mash

120 rest for 30

145 rest for 30

150 rest for 60

.5 northern brewer 60 min

.25northern brewer 20 min

1 oz palisade steep

Northwest ale yeast cake.

After three days 1 lb of belgium amber sugar will be added.

What volume. That grain will only give you a 1.060 beer in 5 gallons (assuming 80+ efficiency).

1 lb of Belgian sugar will only raise it .007 in 5 gallons.

The numbers would make more sense if the batch size is 3.5 gallons.

1.095 to 1.013 is a little less than 11%, not 14%.

1) Your numbers make no sense. How did you calculate that anticipated OG?

2) If you fermented it at proper temperatures i.e. not warm, there should be no fusels, so you won't need more than a month in the bottle for it to be ready to drink.

It is a three gallon batch. Beer smith gave me the og but only with sugar as part of boil. I may have mis calculated the % but the gravity is much lower than predicted. Then again i mashed real low temp which isnt accounted for in the program

It is a three gallon batch. Beer smith gave me the og but only with sugar as part of boil. I may have mis calculated the % but the gravity is much lower than predicted. Then again i mashed real low temp which isnt accounted for in the program

That makes more sense.

You can plug in your actual numbers in Beersmith and it will give you the abv.

Looking like it dried out to about 1.012 when bottling. About 11% . Anyone now how to change predicted final gravity in beer smith to measure final gravity? Nice fruit to it.

I've noticed a distinct fruitiness to the NW Ale yeast. I would give it several months before sampling a bottle, maybe 3 to 4 and then sample 1/month after that until you find it has a pleasant taste.
Realistically, I generally dont drink beers that are + on ~7% alcohol more than once a month or so, so the sampling schedule sort of happens naturally for me.

Anyone now how to change predicted final gravity in beer smith to measure final gravity?

I don't know if it changed with the new version of BeerSmith, but in version 1.4, in the screen where you put in the recipe ingredients. Below the ingredients it gives a predicted OG and FG. To the right of them is a place where you can input your actual OG and FG. Fill in these, and it will show your actual abv over on the right.

Back