Leftover "Mr Beer" Mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallgirl

Reaction score
I was up on top of the cabinets a few weeks back and found a several years old bag of "Mr. Beer" mix. It's a "Red Lager" mix with dry malt enough to make 2.6 gallons, as I recall. I quit playing with "Mr. Beer" many years ago and I guess this bag just got left behind.

I'm toying with the idea of fermenting it in a one gallon bottle (the 5 and 6 gallon carboys I'm saving for later, bwhahahaha!) with a mead or wine yeast. Something that has better tolerance for alcohol than the beer varieties I've used in the past. And I mean, the entire BAG of mix, one gallon water, fermenting it out as dry as I can get the yeast to go.

Anyone have any suggestions for a yeast? Anyone going to try and talk me out of it? Anyone else been crazy enough to do this?

Thanks -- both of those look like they'd work, though I have better access to White Labs yeasts. What do you think of WLP715? I've used it before to make fruit (non-grape) wines and was pleased.

I haven't a clue how the Mr. Beer mix is going to stand up to a Champagne yeast, but I'm willing to try anything with it on account of the nearest friends with goats are 110 miles away :)

Back