mmmm.....butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeegod

Reaction score
I was wondering does the butter flavor/smell of Diacetyl go away with aging. My brown ale has a very noticable problem. I am leaning towards infection as the cause. Some background. I pitched my BA onto the yeast cake of my Milk Stout. Used Medical 02 and airstone for oxygentation. Fermentation within 4 hours. Fermented at 58 Degree's for 3 weeks. Bottled. Beer tasted awesome at bottling. Has been in the bottle for one week. Tried my Trub bottle last night...yuck. I am planning on letting beer carbonate at room temp for another 2 weeks before moving it to the fridge. Any suggestions? Scott

Fermenting on the cold side without warming it up at the end of fermentation seals in the diacetyl. At bottling, when you pulled the beer off the cake, the diacetyl became permenant. Next time, bring the up near 68F for a few days after fermentation beofre bottling or cold crashing. Diacetyl in a brown ale can be really tasty. Who knows you begin to like it.

Yea, 58 degrees is definately on the low side for just about any ale yeast. A dyacetyl rest would probably have helped you out. I'd still say keep it for a while and see if it improves with age.

My thinking was 58 + the 6-10 degrees caused by fermentation puts it at 64-68 degrees. Perfect ale temp, I thought...Anyway I have heard the term dyacetyl rest but don't really understand it, can you explain please. Should I store the beer at room temp or put it in the fridge for cold conditioning? I am really hoping to save this batch.

My thinking was 58 + the 6-10 degrees caused by fermentation puts it at 64-68 degrees. Perfect ale temp, I thought...Anyway I have heard the term dyacetyl rest but don't really understand it, can you explain please. Should I store the beer at room temp or put it in the fridge for cold conditioning? I am really hoping to save this batch.

The yeast produce diacetyl during fermentation. All strains do this, but some strains produce more, and are notorious for it. The good news is that once the fermentable sugars are gone, the yeast will go back and actually digest their own waste products, including diacetyl.

A diacetyl rest is simply encouraging the yeast to clean up the diacetyl by raising the temperature slightly, or allowing the beer to remain on the yeast cake longer, or a combination of both.

Most often, just as fermentation is tapering off, the temperature is raised by 5-10 degrees to encourage the yeast to remain active and clean up the diacetyl. So, if you're fermenting at 50, for a lager, you can raise the temperature up to 60 (some even go higher). For an ale fermenting at 64ish, raising it to 70 may do the trick.

In some beers, diacetyl can be part of the flavor and isn't considered a flaw. I've noticed it in some English ales, and I think ringwood ale yeast produces quite a bit of it during fermentation.

In very small amounts, diacetyl may present as an oily mouthfeel, or a slickness remaining on the tongue. In larger amounts, it will taste like butter or even butterscotch. I do a diacetyl rest if I'm ever sampling and get that "oily mouthfeel".

Once the beer is racked off of the yeast cake, it's really hard to get the yeast to work to clean up the diacetyl, though. You can try keeping it at room temperature a bit, and swirl it up to resuspend any yeast that's fallen out. It might work, but it's usually better to fix it at the end of primary.

could I put the beer back and repitch the yeast for a clean up?

You could. I'm not sure it'll help. I know there is one brewer around here that does just that and says it works. I'm not doubting his experience, but.....well, I just don't think it'll help. It can't hurt, though.

could I put the beer back and repitch the yeast for a clean up?
I did and it worked...but it was in a keg, not bottled.

I just took the keg out of the keezer, added 1/4 pack of dry yeast right on top and resealed the keg. I let it sit for a week or so before sampling it. When I did the diacetyl was all gone. :rockin:

I don't know why nobody on here notices diacetyl on every bottled batch if tasted too early.....

Yeast produce diacetyl as the natural process of fermentation, which occurs once again on a smaller level when you add priming sugar for bottling. I ALWAYS get diacetyl (and ive gotten acetaldehyde) when tasting a beer that is less than 2-3 weeks old. The yeast in the bottle itself always cleans up the diacety by the third week. So, I wouldnt dump out all the beer in your bottles and re-yeast them....that would only oxidize it.

Latest posts

Back