IPA / Porter blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBee

Reaction score
The wife and I visited Stone Brewery the other day, and one of the employees came up and got a growler filled with a mix of two beers. We asked about this and the beer jockey said that the favorite drink of the employees was a blend of their porter and their IPA. Well, the wife fell in love with it, and has requested that we brew the same (I was even able to turn that enthusiasm into a new 15 gal conical fermenter). So my question to all of you is - Has anyone here done this with their homebrews? I was planning on making a 5 gal porter batch, and a 10 gal IPA batch (since I like IPA more) and then just bottle them and blend as necessary, but since the point of the whole thing is that the blend has all the body and rich flavor of a porter, while at the same time it also has the crisp hoppiness of the IPA - should I exaggerate these points in the initial brewing? Any pointers/recipes/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

DOes the brewery you tasted this at have an exagerated IPA or exaggerated Porter? If not, then go ahead and brew up a good (ie: you could drink it by itself) porter and a good IPA. Blend those two together, just like the brewery did.

I frequently mix my ales. It's one of the things I like about cornies. It isn't necessary to brew extreme ales to make mixing work. Should have gone for the 16 keg chest freezer.

PS Apple cider & porter = NO.

That does sound extremely interesting. It sounds like Yeungling's Black and Tan, which is their porter and lager together. Of course Stone's would be major kick ass though. I might have to try that sometime. Not only with Stone's beers, but my own.

Dude said:
Of course Stone's would be major kick ass though. I might have to try that sometime. Not only with Stone's beers, but my own.

Im going to stop by the liquor store today and pick those up and see how it turns out. Ill post back here once I try it

David_42 said:
PS Apple cider & porter = NO.

Hahaha :drunk:

Latest posts

Back