new to homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyote

Reaction score
Hey, folks.

I'm in SW PA and am just beginning to consider homebrewing. haven't made the plunge yet (too much to learn).

Don

coyote said:
Hey, folks.

I'm in SW PA and am just beginning to consider homebrewing. haven't made the plunge yet (too much to learn).

Don

Welcome Don,
There is a lot to read but it does not beat getting a brew going!

SWPA here also....Beaver County......Sounds like we are in the same boat. I went to South Hills Brewing Supply but they werent much help at all. Everyone here makes it sound like a really fun and rewarding hoby. I am getting closer and closer to giving it a try.

appreciate the replies, everyone!

looking forward to learning from y'all.

coyote said:
appreciate the replies, everyone!

looking forward to learning from y'all.

It all sounds way harder than it really is. Get an all extract kit and a basic starter setup, you'll get going for under $100 and make some awesome beer in an afternoon.

Once you begin to homebrew you will find it is easier than it seems. Best place to get startup kits is websites such as beer-wine.com or northernbrewer.com they also sell recipe kits. These give you all of the ingredients for one batch and a recipe. A little more expensive than buying ingredients in bulk, but the best way to get started. Once you brew successfully from a recipe then it is time to experiment. At least that is how I did it. Good luck

You can find a complete descriptive, step-by-step guide to your first homebrew on my website:
http://wako.ca under the "beer tab". Hope this can help you!

I am new to all of this as well, and honestly, its not as hard as it sounds and it's way more rewarding than most projects- at least on my end!

appreciate all the replies.

so...what equipment should I buy? I'd rather buy a decent set of tools once, than upgrade after my third batch.

thanks!

Welcome. :mug:

This is the third time I've answered this question in 24hrs.
Do some reading, decide what level you want to go to, decide if you want to spend $100, $500, $1000 or $5000.

Every brewer has different requirements, budgets, space, SWMBOs.

If you want to go all grain you'll need a minimum of

HLT
MLT
Brew Kettle
Fermenter(s)
Kegs or Bottles and Capper.

Seriously you need to do some reading, researchig followed by asking. No one can tell you what you need unless you know what you want to do.

www.howtobrew.com and the wiki above.

you're right, orfy.

in my haste to "get started", I jumped the gun a bit.

appreciate the advice.

Back