Conical/Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwinzing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a conical for Christmas and I want to start to harvest the yeast and wash and re-use. I have no idea how to do this. Do I just dump the yeast in a mason jar after a week? Or do I need to take some daily? The when I have the yeast how do I seperate it? Wash it. I want to store it and use it at a later time.

Thanks for any input

I'd start with the yeast washing guide on here but instead of harvesting the yeast from the primary after racking you'd be harvesting from the bottom of the conical. I'd add it to the sterilized water to separate from the trub. After a week or so would be my guess but I'm sure other will chime in.

Washing probably isn't needed if harvesting from a conical. Dump out the first part that is mostly trub, and when it starts to turn cream colored instead of brown or tan, you've got mostly good healthy yeast. Pour it into a sanitized mason jar and throw it in the fridge. If you plan on using it within a week, your good to go, just pour it in the fermenter, if you plan on waiting longer, you will want to make a starter.

Latest posts

Back