Way too much lactic acid - now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshBrew

Reaction score
I recently posted a final gravity problem in Recipe/Ingredients believing it may have been something in my recipe or process that caused my problem.

Here is the thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=555317

I checked my SG again yesterday and it is still sitting at 1.030 (OG was 1.082). After much thought I began looking into water chemistry effects on the mash process. In reviewing my water adjustments per Brun Water spreadsheet I noticed that my adjustment was to be 3.3ml of lactic acid for my 5.5 gal BIAB mash. It suddenly dawned on me that instead of adding 3.3ml I actually added 3 tablespoons! Sure enough, I checked my brew notes and I have 3T lactic acid in my mash notes. I remember adding to my kettle at the time and thinking to myself that it really seemed to be a lot of lactic acid. Duh...

I tasted it yesterday and it actually tastes good considering there is no carbonation. I'm concerned now that the acidity may have killed off any viable yeast left to bottle carb.

Should I dump it and brew again or ride it out?

Let it ride. You're not in any danger of killing the yeast.

In the meantime, all you can really do is take a red pen and cross out the 3T in your notebook/recipe book and write 3ml with lots of underlining and exclamation points.

ETA: just did the BOTE math. That's about 45ml of acid. Maybe some of the winemakers can chime in about neutralizing tart flavors.

Hmm, not sure if the yeast would be affected. I've used US-05 in wort that was soured to 3.1 pH and that yeast still chewed through it. It was slow to start, but it did finish the job. I don't know what the 3 tbs would have done to your beer pH.

Back