Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Dark Light Not Entirely Light Chocolate Lager - 1 gallon recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opiate42

Reaction score
Cotacachi, Ecuador (formerly Toronto, Canada)
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-23 Lager, rehydrated
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
NA
Final Gravity
NA
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ ~70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ ~70F
Additional Fermentation
bottle carb
Tasting Notes
Slight chocolately flavour, light smooth body and way too easy to drink
Now I don't have much space, so 1 gallon for now. Our little fermenting closet has an ambient temp of around 70F most days.

Grain Bill:
1.5 lbs 2-Row
0.055 lbs Chocolate malt
0.025 lbs Carafoam
0.25 lbs Carahell

60 min mash @ 150

5 grams Fuggle @ 60
5 grams Hallertau @ 30
45 grams D180 candi syrup @ 15
whirlfloc @ 15
7 grams cocoa powder @ 10

30 grams roasted cocoa nibs in secondary for 7 days.

(soak nibs in vodka for 3 days, strain and add to carboy, rack beer over, enjoy chocolate vodka martini in the meantime).

Bottle with 1/4 cup water and 2 tbsp honey.

Was looking for something dark that was easy on the mouth to toss back, a bit of chocolate, and still have just enough teeth to it to keep me happy. Think I landed that nicely.

Definitely going to round this one up to a 5 gallon in the near future and will load a pic if I still have any left in the fridge when I get home :D

EDIT: nope..... all gone!

Last edited:
Just an update: Recently brewed a 5 gallon of this, minus the cacao nibs due to lack of time and it turned out just glorious :D

Just scaled up everything x5 and bumped the hops to an ounce each of fuggle and liberty (sub'd for the Hallertau Mitt, didn't have any handy). Bottled with plain white table sugar.

Nice dark colour but goes down like a crisp lawnmower beer. :rockin:

Just an update: Recently brewed a 5 gallon of this, minus the cacao nibs due to lack of time and it turned out just glorious :D

Just scaled up everything x5 and bumped the hops to an ounce each of fuggle and liberty (sub'd for the Hallertau Mitt, didn't have any handy). Bottled with plain white table sugar.

Nice dark colour but goes down like a crisp lawnmower beer. :rockin:
Did you use a lager yeast or an ale yeast for this? I want to make my brother some sort of dark lager for Father's Day so I do t have time for true lagering

Back