First All Grain Batch... I need a recipe!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawgBrewer

Reaction score
Brewers,

I need some help picking out a trusted recipe for my first all grain batch. I recently converted a chest freezer to a ferm chamber so I do have the ability to accurately control my ferm temps. I wouldn't mind doing a Marzen/Oktoberfest, but I need to keep the pipeline going and don't believe I have the time to do a lager justice as I'd like to get another batch fermenting in the freezer at the same time (planning on brewing that one a week after this one). Maybe an Aletoberfest?

I converted an 60 qt igloo cube to my mash tun. It's a big vessel, and I think it actually might help me if I do a bigger beer to maintain temps until I'm 100% comfortable with my system. I'm open to anything. Thanks for the help.

:mug:

Brewers,

I need some help picking out a trusted recipe for my first all grain batch. I recently converted a chest freezer to a ferm chamber so I do have the ability to accurately control my ferm temps. I wouldn't mind doing a Marzen/Oktoberfest, but I need to keep the pipeline going and don't believe I have the time to do a lager justice as I'd like to get another batch fermenting in the freezer at the same time (planning on brewing that one a week after this one). Maybe an Aletoberfest?

I converted an 60 qt igloo cube to my mash tun. It's a big vessel, and I think it actually might help me if I do a bigger beer to maintain temps until I'm 100% comfortable with my system. I'm open to anything. Thanks for the help.

:mug:

There are a ton out there. What's your style? I personally don't like making big beers or hop monsters, but I might know of a few ambers/brown/APAs that a pretty decent.

I'd like something that goes well with the incoming fall. I enjoy pretty much everything. I would like to stay away from something overly hopped. I was thinking about something like Terrapin's Hop Karma (formerly known as India Brown Ale).

Thanks for the Alt recipe. I was originally thinking about an Alt yesterday. I went by my local beer store to try and pick up a bottle of an Alt to try the style first. They didn't have one in stock, but it essentially sounds like an ale version of an oktoberfest.

Edwort's Haus Pale Ale is a classic and always on tap at my place

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

+1 This is what I was going to suggest.

Reasons:
* Simple malt bill (actually, most of my best beers end up simple)
* Cheap to make - you can focus on process without much risk
* Well proven recipe - if it sucks, you'll know its your fault
* Recipe is easy to modify in different directions.
* Easy fermentation schedule
* Tasty - its great.

Thanks for the Alt recipe. I was originally thinking about an Alt yesterday. I went by my local beer store to try and pick up a bottle of an Alt to try the style first. They didn't have one in stock, but it essentially sounds like an ale version of an oktoberfest.

No prob. If you can find it, Alaskan Amber is a REALLY good version of an American alt. I've been trying to replicate it but I think their water is so vastly different than mine that it's hard to duplicate the profile. I'm not much of a chemist, so I try to start with distilled water and go from there. I'm getting closer, but still no cigar.

Back