About to brew first batch, any words of wisdom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justaguy88

Reaction score
I purchased a brew kit on Groupon and had to wait a few days before I could actually place the order. It's presently in the mail on its way over to me, and I have had a lot of time in the last week to learn about home brewing.

I think I have a good grasp of the brewing process (at least brewing from extract), but I would love to hear tips and advice for brewing my first batch. What do you wish you knew when you first started out?

I wish I knew....when a recipe calls for 6.5 lbs of LME and you only have 7lbs of it, don't try to measure .5lbs out. It's just a little sticky :D

Once you begin cooling your wort, pretend the zone above your beer is a no-fly zone in Libya. Don't wave anything over it, don't let water from your sink splash into it, and don't let anything fall into it. You might think this is obvious advice, but you might be surprised when condensation hits your hand and drops into the beer or a hair floats into it.

Buy star-san. Whenever you use it, put a little of the mixture into a spray bottle and spray it all over your stuff like it is going out of style. It will not hurt your beer if some gets into it, and will kill germs.

Seriously pay attention to recommended temperatures for steeping the grains and pitching the yeast. My first few beers were pretty gross in retrospect, and I am 99% certain it is because I let the grains get too hot (just leave them around 155F) and pitched the yeast too hot (above 80F).

It's really hard with the yeast... it can be a real drag waiting for the wort to chill to the 60-70F range, but I promise it is worth the wait, flavor-wise. The yeasties don't like to be sweating.

And most importantly, have fun! :mug:

Be patient and don't throw out your first batch. If it tastes weird, bottle it, put it away, brew some other batches (hopefully figuring out what went wrong), and come back to it in a couple months. Chances are good that any off flavors have settled out and it has matured to an at least decent-tasting beverage.

SANITIZE EVERYTHING!! Find a check list and even sanitize your scissors. Make sure you have a place you can leave the brew for 2-4 weeks that will stay at the temp you need for your yeast. Make sure you have enough ice to make an ice bath for your brew pot for cooling. Get beer below 80 degrees as quickly as possible. Just to list a few :drunk: My first batch had quite a few mistakes but its all about learning. Im up to batch 8 and im still learning little things. Best of luck to you!

Don't start drinking until you've pitched your yeast, and put your fermentor away safely. Be patient, and don't rush that first batch. Start a second batch right away. Start a third batch right away. If something happens, don't freak out. Since you can't have a homebrew just yet, drink something good while you're cleaning up. Since you're in SD, maybe a nice Stone RIS.

Oh yeah, welcome to the obsession. :mug:

My advice is don't sweat the small stuff. Beer is pretty forgiving. It may not come out exactly like you expected the first time around, but you have to screw up pretty badly to make an undrinkable batch.

Don't start drinking until you've pitched your yeast, and put your fermentor away safely.

Well, come on, let's not go overboard!

Seriously though, it's true that it'd be wise to go easy on the beer at first. Avoid sloppy mistakes. But hey, I've brewed sober and I've brewed drunk, and have messed things up/created my best beers in both states. :tank:

My advice is don't sweat the small stuff. Beer is pretty forgiving. It may not come out exactly like you expected the first time around, but you have to screw up pretty badly to make an undrinkable batch.

My advice was to start each batch with a brew. I like to try and drink something similar to what I am brewing.

Most importantly, don't ever skimp on sanitation.

1. Don't expect your first brew day to go flawlessly. Expect to make mistakes. This is a learning process. Make your mistakes, learn from them and keep brewing. Your beer will improve as you gain experience.

2. Enjoy the process. Brewing your own beer takes much more time than buying commercial beer. If you are not enjoying the time you spend brewing then what's the point?

3. You are probably bottle conditioning. Most of us are anxious to try that first batch right away and the waiting can be agony. Why not try one every few days? It won't be very good at first but you can satisfy your curiosity, learn what green beer tastes like and still save the majority of your batch for drinking once it hits its prime (~3-4 weeks post-bottling for most styles). Once you have a few batches under your belt and plenty of good homebrew in the fridge you won't want to touch a new batch until it has been in bottles for 3-4 weeks.

Mistakes from my first brew:

Don't think that a six gallon brew pot is going to cut it. You need at least 8 gallons for a 5 gallon batch.

You're going to lose about half a gallon of wort from trub, equipment loss and hydro testing loss, so shoot for 5.5 gallons at end of boil.

LME adds a good amount of volume to the boil, so take that into account when you're figuring out your water.

You might lose about 1 gallon per hour of boiling to evaporation, but it's dependent on how vigorous your boil is.

Near-boiling water is 4-5% greater in volume than cold water.

Buy some good quality hi-temp silicon hose (1/2" ID) for transferring wort from the kettle to your fermentor.

If there's air in your drain lines when you begin to siphon or drain the kettle, you're going to have problems draining. Potentially big problems. Fill the hoses with a Star San solution before draining the kettle, and keep the other end of the hose in a catch basin. Once you begin draining, drain into the catch basin until it's obvious that all of the Star San is drained out and wort is flowing, then move the hose to your fermentor.

You'll also have problems if any of your hose connections aren't completely tight. Use hose clamps, and be sure to use the appropriate size of hose clamps, since bigger hose clamps won't clamp down on smaller hoses correctly.

Use distilled water with Star San. Don't use tap water. Makes the Star San last longer.

If you miss your OG, don't sweat it. It will still be beer. Probably good beer. Just take lots of notes on what volumes of water you used and what volumes of wort you ended up with and make necessary adjustments in future batches.

Buy two hydrometers so you'll always have one on hand in case one breaks on a brew day.

Sanitation (I recomend Starsan)

Fermentation temps (get that ale down to mid 60s!)

Proper amount of yeast

Aerate wort before pitching yeast

Pitch at proper temp

Yeast are sort of like people so give them the right temp with good food. Then let them do their thing.

Do NOT pitch yeast until your under 80F.

Easy way to get under 80F: Put 3 gallons of water in the freezer when you start the brew, by the time you are ready for them in the carboy they will be ice cold, but not frozen yet.

Don't forget to take your OG (I still forget this sometimes).

Carbonation really can take up to 2 months!! Do NOT open the bottles back up after 3 weeks and add more carb drops!! (In my defense I was still a newb)

I get tight hose connections without resorting to fuel line clamps (small worm clamps). Just make sure you buy the right size hose to fit your spigots,etc. And def get a small bottle of star-san. At 1 1/4 tsp per gallon of water,it lasts a really long time. Some folks use unscented oxyclean to clean fermenters,clean & de-label bottles,etc. I use PBW solution to clean with,which costs more. But is made for cleaning brewing equipment. Both must be rinsed off after cleaning,though. Both work,but it's your choice.
I use a 5G (20 qt) SS stock pot for a brew kettle,since I do partial boils of 2.5-3gallons. I got a set of four with lids & steamer trays at Giant Eagle for some $25 on sale. Now is a good time of year for sales on them,as it's harvest time,time for canning. It's been great for this purpose. I go to my LHBS,or one of the main on-line retailers for brewing supplies to get various things I need. And at least 2 hydrometers is a wise choice,since you will break one sooner or later.
And cool your kettle of wort in an ice bath in the sink. I buy large bags of ice,since a small bag isn't enough when it takes longer to get down past 85 or 90F to 65F or so. Stir the ice water & wort to maximize exposer & cool quickly. The quicker the better,since quick cooling also acts as a protein rest. They'll clump up & settle out to whatever degree,leaving you with less chill haze at fridge time.
And keep your ferment temps down close to the minimum for the particular yeast strain you're using. Let's say your yeasts optimal range is 62F-72F. 64-68 is good,but 64F would be best. But it depends on what temp the yeast makes certain flavors called esters. The yeast manufacturer has such info that most on line suppliers have a link for right in the description.
Also,don't forget a bottling wand,& tubing to fit it & the spigot. I chose a spigot for my bottling bucket that's the same size as the one supplied with the bottling wand.
You'll come up with a process that makes good beers as you gain in experience. It doesn't take long,& isn't hard if you have decent imagination & can follow directions. Just learn when the directions (kit directions especially) aren't exactly right. You can learn much of that on here,so read up & take notes if you have to. Which brings me to another point. Get a 1 subject notebook & keep as many notes on each brew from brew day to the last bottle. You'll have complete info to access next time.
And,above all,enjoy the process,& it isn't work anymore!!!:tank:

The only advice I can offer is sanitize sanitize and then sanitize again. Congrats on your first batch. Take lots of notes, and just relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. Once you get your routine down you will find things that work better for you personally and things that don't. Did I mention sanitize?

[email protected]. on tap: homemade sarsaparilla and easy virtue blonde. primary: heffewitzen, blow your top steam. conditioning: fruity monk Belgian wit

FERMENTATION TEMPERATURE. Oh dear lord, fermentation temperature. Keep it cool and consistent (appropriate to your yeast strain). Wish I had known that for my first batch.

Good luck and have fun:mug:

I just bought the Deluxe Starter Kit from Northern Brewers and got a turkey fryer with a 8gal kettle too. I'm stoked to brew my first batch! Thanks for the beginner advice...I'm sure I'll screw something up but all part of the learning process :)

Back