Thoughts on keg mod and temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I really enjoy my nitro tap, and it's even better when everything aligns so that I can serve off that tap on the "warmer" side, say in the 50-55F range. Normally though, I have other beers on my other taps that just don't warrant that temp, and I keep it in the mid 40's.

The thought occurred to me though, what if I put a weldless thermowell bulkhead down low on a keg, stick a temp control probe in there and drive a fermwrap with it on that one keg.

Anyone ever modify a keg with a thermowell, or done anything similar to serve one keg at a different temp than the rest of your lineup?

I've always had the idea of somehow creating a removable insulated divider and have a small heater on one side in order to serve at different temperatures. That would also be dependent on how big of a freezer you have though.

That's how I lager. Fermwrap a carboy next to my kegs. Keeps it at temp up to 55 degrees In a 35degree fridge. I wrap it in silver bubble wrap insulation also

I know of a few folks that use a temperature controlled chest freezer plus individually controlled Ferm-Wraps on their fermentation vessels.

If there's enough room and there's an available controller and heat wrap available I don't see why that couldn't be done inside a kegerator or keezer. If it doesn't break any recommendations for the heat wrap I'd want to insulate it so it doesn't cause the compressor to work any harder.

The tricky part, clearly, is the thermowell in a keg, but I suppose the brave could just knock a suitable hole right through the side wall...

Cheers! (I don't think I'm that brave ;))

Back