Oatmeal Stout - Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyhoward

Reaction score
I am about to embark on my 6th brew day. I purchased Midwest Supplies Oatmeal Stout Extract Recipe Kit when they had one of their many sales. Now reading the reviews it seems a lot of people think this recipe is a little thin. So I went to the AIH website and I see their oatmeal stout recipe is similar but with a little bit more of everything. Is there any reason I can't just buy the extra LME and grains to get closer to AIH's recipe (whose recipes I have good success with thus far)?

The results would be as follows:

7.2# LME
8 oz flaked oats
8 oz rolled oats
16 oz chocolate malt
16 oz roasted barley
16 oz crystal 120
1 oz fuggle hops (60 min)

Sure! Just go buy the additional grains/ME and tweak the recipe.

IMO, that is a lot of roasted barley. I would cut that in half and increase either (or both) the chocolate and crystal. It depends on what flavors you will want to come through in your final product though. I like the balancing sweetness and caramel flavors of additional crystal over the strong roasted flavors of the roasted barley. Good luck!

i agree with the 16oz chocolate, you would probably be better of with 8oz roast barley. Id also double or triple the oats if you want an "oatmeal" stout. That looks like a stout with a bit of oats added for head retention to me

I like to toast 8oz or so of the oats in my oven to get them to really stand out in character. Otherwise, the actual oat taste is pretty muted

By the way what is about the range of oats to put in an oatmeal stout? And does it make a difference between malted oats or unmalted oats? If bottling, which priming sugar is best to use?

Back