Brad's IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basementbrewbrad

Reaction score
Grains
2LB Vienna Malt
1LB Crystal 20L Malt

Extract
6LB Muntons Extra Light DME (extra Pale would be better but was not available at the brew shop)

Hops
1.5 oz Centennial @60
.5 oz Centennial @30
.75 oz Cascade @10
.25 oz Cascade @Flame-out

Dry Hop .75 oz Centennial and 1.0 oz Cascade for 9 days in secondary
I am replacing the dry hop Centennial with 1 oz Columbus because only 2 ounces were available at the brew shop

Yeast
WLP051 California V Ale was not available so I went with US-05

Mash
Mash grains out in 3 Liters of water @150-155 for 45 min
Sparge out with 1.5 gallons of water @170

Boil
After Sparge bring to a boil
Turn heat off and add 3lbs of DME
Bring back to a boil and follow Hop schedule from above
@15 min add 1 TSP Irish Moss and add final 3lbs DME then return to boil

Specific Gravity
Starting-1.062
Finishing-1.008
Attenuation-70%
% Alcohol by Volume- 7.4
Calories per 12 oz serving- 217

I look forward to trying this one when it is ready... Just brewed it up on Friday and it is happily fermenting in my 6.5 gallon better bottle

Fermenting temp right now is 64*F... It has gotten colder so the basement is a little bit cooler than I anticipated.

If you try it let me know how your attempt at it goes

Cheers!:mug:

Brad

378912_2871454065063_1221217497_3301639_264565071_n.jpg

here she is after 2 days of fermenting

one week after I brewed it it is still fermenting away in the primary... so are the other two brews on top of the cooler(Belgian Grand Cru and Raspberry Red Ale):D

going to let it sit in the primary 5 more days... today is day 9. Then i will rack into the secondary with the dry hops. Can't wait to try this one but I want to take my time so it turns out the way I hope it will.

I think it'll be sweeter than Two Hearted, that's a lot of crystal malt. I also think it'll be slightly different hop profile, since Two Hearted uses only Centennial in it.

Still not a bad recipe. It should come out quite drinkable :p

I have heard a couple different things... I have heard that 2 hearted has cantennial only and I have heard cascade as well. I agree, it will probably be sweeter. I just wanted to make something similar and tasty. My goal was a fairly easy drinking beer

Racked into secondary on top of the Cascade and Columbus hops and took a hydro reading today. OG was 1.062... now it is at 1.012. It tasted delicious as well and I can't wait until it is done

here she is next to the raspberry red ale and grand cru (was put into the secondary as well today after 18 days in the primary... and already started to perk up hard again) I am going to have a lot of beer to drink in a few weeks:tank:

100_2328.jpg

100_2329.jpg

Day 14... One more week before i can bottle. Just wanted to post up a pic to show how clear it has gotten minus the chunks. I accidentally bumped my table when checking on the brews and stirred some sediment up.:eek:

100_2330.jpg

100_2331.jpg

put a packet of knox gelatin in it last night (boiled with 2 cups water of course)... will bottle it Friday afternoon. We shall see how clear she is

I have heard a couple different things... I have heard that 2 hearted has cantennial only and I have heard cascade as well. I agree, it will probably be sweeter. I just wanted to make something similar and tasty. My goal was a fairly easy drinking beer

Not sure where you heard Cascade was in it, unless their website is lying:

Two Hearted Ale is defined by its intense hop aroma and malt balance. Hopped exclusively with the Centennial hop varietal from the Pacific Northwest, massive additions in the kettle and again in the fermenter lend their characteristic grapefruit and pine resin aromas. A significant malt body balances this hop presence; together with the signature fruity aromas of Bell's house yeast, this leads to a remarkably drinkable American-style India Pale Ale.

Your recipe looks pretty tasty though - I'm sure it will turn out great. :mug:

bottled last night. Took a sample... it tasted fantastic. I will post again in a couple of weeks when it is carbonated. Also posted SG, FG, and % alcohol at the top of the page

here she is after 12 days in the bottle... It is a very tasty beer. The crystal gives it a nice sweet taste and the hops are quite prominent as well

100_2398.jpg

the picture does not quite do justice of the clarity... Knox gelatin is amazing. Put the Knox in with 4 days left before bottling and cold crashed the last 2 days

Back