Dry Hopping Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wus67

Reaction score
First time time brewer here, with a couple of questions about dry hopping. I've got a partial mash cascade pale ale in the secondary, the nose is wonderful, but haven't sampled it as of yet. 1. Would you sample before dry hopping. 2. Would you go with more cascade, or use centiennial (i have both on hand), and 3. When you use pellet hops do you bag them or just dump them in the carboy? Any help would be appreciated.

1. Sample as much as you want but remember it increases the chance of contamination
2. How much hops are in it now? Is this a kit? If so I'd stay stick with the recipe for your first batch, there is plenty of time for experimenting.
3. Put it in a hops bag. Some say this isn't necessary but I can almost guarantee you that you will be getting some floaters in your bottles if you dont.

i usually just throw them into the carboy. I dry hopping isn't going to give you much of a different flavor, instead it's going to up the aroma. As far as type, i use both and like both for dry hopping, so i guess i'm not much help there. I guess if pressed I prefer centennial, but not by much. congrats on your first brew!

I've got three oz. in the batch 1oz at 60 min, 1oz at 15min and 1oz at 2min. If it's not going to make much difference in flavor, i'll probably skip it this time, it had a wonderful aroma when racking from primary to secondary, I almost wanted to pour a glass then and there.

I've got three oz. in the batch 1oz at 60 min, 1oz at 15min and 1oz at 2min. If it's not going to make much difference in flavor, i'll probably skip it this time, it had a wonderful aroma when racking from primary to secondary, I almost wanted to pour a glass then and there.

I'm a big dry hopping fan, even if you did 1/4 or 1/2 an oz. Couldnt hurt :mug:

I never use hop bags in carboy, they pita to fish out later, but I always cold crash before kegging, so they always sink to the bottom

Sent from GT-I9100M

Back