Fem temp advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrotmalt

Reaction score
So after all the reading I've done about how important temperature is during fermentation, I finally bit the bullet and bought me an external t-stat for use with an old freezer in the garage. Now I realize that the shelves in the freezer are actually part of the cooling system. It's all one long evaporator tube (if that's the correct term) that makes up the three shelves. Without removing a shelf, my ferm bucket/ carboy/ corny etc. won't fit. Now I'm not sure what to do. I have a second fridge in the garage, but SWMBO isn't crazy about losing that extra soda/grocery space. If I decide to start campaigning for fridge usage anyway, how long would I really need to take it over. Seems like I read that the first few days are the most important for keeping temps down.

Is it safe to do primary for a week or so in the fridge, then move to a closet for the duration. This time of year our house is between 73 and 78. I'm anxious to do another batch since I'm going to try all grain for the first time, but I don't want to rush it. Should I wait until I can resolve my freezer issue, or just beg for the fridge for a week?

that's strange, never seen a freezer like that before.

Yes, the growth phase (before visible signs of fermentation arrive) and the first half, roughly, are much more important than the tail end in terms of ester and phenolic production. There's no simple, single answer to this one, though, as no two strains are the same. I've had a blonde ale ferment out completely in 24 hours; I've had others that take a week or more. You really just need to watch it and see...

Here's an idea, though: why not just get a second temp controller, and hook one up to the freezer so that you can use it as a fridge for the groceries and stuff that your wife is keeping in the fridge...then you can use the fridge for your fermentation chamber.

I think you will be fine fermenting for a week at a nice steady mid 60s temp and then moving to a warmer location. The yeast will pretty much be done converting the sugars to ethanol and moving it to a warmer location will make the yeast still working chomp on the byproducts a little faster.

I have done this and had no problems or off flavors what so ever. I wouldn't constrain myself to 7 days exactly or anything, but wait until you have 2 days at the same gravity.

You may end up with some chill haze from no cold crashing, but I have been able to clear that up by chilling some carbonated bottles for a couple weeks at near freezing.

Here's an idea, though: why not just get a second temp controller, and hook one up to the freezer so that you can use it as a fridge for the groceries and stuff that your wife is keeping in the fridge...then you can use the fridge for your fermentation chamber.

Nice! Plus tell her the money you save on electricity (freezer way more efficient than a fridge) will easily pay for the controller.

Nice! Plus tell her the money you save on electricity (freezer way more efficient than a fridge) will easily pay for the controller.

Rationale FTW!

Problem with the second t-stat idea is that the sucker cost me $70 (yes, I'm a tightwad). I'm thinking I may try to sell the freezer on Craigslist and buy a second hand replacement without the shelving problem. I'm just antsy and don't want to wait for that to pan out before my next batch, and I wasn't sure how important temp is beyond the initial phase.

Problem with the second t-stat idea is that the sucker cost me $70 (yes, I'm a tightwad). I'm thinking I may try to sell the freezer on Craigslist and buy a second hand replacement without the shelving problem. I'm just antsy and don't want to wait for that to pan out before my next batch, and I wasn't sure how important temp is beyond the initial phase.

What controller did you buy? A LOVE single stage should only be $50 with the probe.

The box doesn't say much other than Johnson Controls in small print. I got it at my LHBS. I guess I paid closer to $65 with tax and all. Just seems high to be buying another one. Looking at the other posts, I think I'll risk it and try and keep the primary in the existing fridge until it looks like activity has come to a halt. Thanks for your help guys!

that's strange, never seen a freezer like that before.
Most older frost free freezers are set up that way. I was in the market for an upright freezer to use as a fermentation chamber since that was all I had the space for. It took months of searching before I could find one that didn't have the coils in the shelves. But when I did find one I was able to set the shelves up so it could fit 4 6.5 gallon carboys.
photo-11.jpg

OP I really recommend starting to look for one of these now and selling your one that has the coils in the shelves. It's pretty great to be able to have four beers fermenting at a time, even 4 lagers if you want! With a fermwrap and a second controller I can even have one of them fermenting warmer than the rest.

I would just hop on craigslist and get a whole other fridge/freezer for free. I bet there are at least 20 on my local c-list for free right now.

Back when I convinced SWMBO that I needed the temp controller, part of my speech included how I wouldn't have to alter the freezer, and that I couldn't screw it up (Me screwing things up while "improving" them seems to be of concern for her). I'm afraid trying to bend and potentially kinking/breaking the shelves would put a damper on that part of my speech. I'm thinking a chest freezer, vice the upright, would make a great replacement if I can find a good deal on one.

I don't think she quite understands how extremely important fermentation temp is, perhaps you should try to explain it to her again.

Back