Mash or steep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildKnight

Reaction score
I've seen some recipes that specifically call for steeping adjuncts instead of including them in the mash. What is the reason for this?

How does steeping versus mashing, say CaraPils or Crystal malts, affect the malt flavors in the final beer? Is it really that noticeable a difference?

I have nevere done it, and can not see any reason to do it. I think any flavor difference would be practically impercievable.

I've seen some recipes that specifically call for steeping adjuncts instead of including them in the mash. What is the reason for this?

How does steeping versus mashing, say CaraPils or Crystal malts, affect the malt flavors in the final beer? Is it really that noticeable a difference?

If you are mashing, as in brewing all-grain beer, then all of the gist bill ingredients would be included in the mash. If steeping, as is extract brewing with flavoring/coloring grains, then the specialty grains are steeped like a tea bag prior to the addition of malt extract. The steeping process will dissolve and extract color, flavor and sugars from these ingredients. Only grain ingredients without unconverted starches should be steeped, such as crystal malts and roasted grains like chocolate, black patent, roasted barley, etc. Steeping adjuncts like flaked grains is done in a number of extract recipes but it doesn't actually do much other that to get the grains wet.

Big Ed, is that to say I can mash my base malt by itself for space considerations, then steep the crystal addition in the kettle while it heats up (but not above 170) ?

@Fletch, I think that would work fine when you consider that there is no mashing at all in extract recipes. Only steeping of these specialty grains.

However I'm also curious about the basic effects of steeping vs mashing on the specialty grains. I always just assumed there was no point in steeping separately with the specialty grains and in any recipe books I have they just include those in the mash if you do an AG version of the recipe. Is there some perceived benefit to *not* mashing the specialty grains in AG batches in favor of steeping them instead?

@Fletch, I think that would work fine when you consider that there is no mashing at all in extract recipes. Only steeping of these specialty grains.

However I'm also curious about the basic effects of steeping vs mashing on the specialty grains. I always just assumed there was no point in steeping separately with the specialty grains and in any recipe books I have they just include those in the mash if you do an AG version of the recipe. Is there some perceived benefit to *not* mashing the specialty grains in AG batches in favor of steeping them instead?

There is no reason not to include the specialty grains in the mash when brewing all grain. Steeping them is done as a compromise prodedure for extract brewing because the mash process is assumed to be unavailable to the brewer. Re Fletch78 about separating the specialty grains for space considerations I suppose makes sense but that brings up the question of just how much specialty grain is being used in that case?

Papazian bucket mash... limited space. According to the GBR "can I mash it?" calculator, I'm pretty much topped out at 10 pounds of grain if I want a little headroom to be able to stir and sparge correctly.

So for a 12# grainbill, I was thinking of taking the specialty grains and just a little of the base malt and mini-mash or steeping them in the first batch of sparge water (batch sparge).

All week I've been wondering about that, and saw this topic and decided to hijack it.

Papazian bucket mash... limited space. According to the GBR "can I mash it?" calculator, I'm pretty much topped out at 10 pounds of grain if I want a little headroom to be able to stir and sparge correctly.

So for a 12# grainbill, I was thinking of taking the specialty grains and just a little of the base malt and mini-mash or steeping them in the first batch of sparge water (batch sparge).

All week I've been wondering about that, and saw this topic and decided to hijack it.

That should work just fine.

Back