Removal of Corny Keg Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before, however, I used the search function and I was not able to find anything on point...

I am in the process of putting together my kegerator and got the fridge home today. I realized that I would be able to fit 3 corny kegs inside if I could remove the black handle piece of the keg (I need to reduce the keg height by about a half inch). Is there a way to do this? It looks like if I take off the in/out's that it might come off (I'm sure there's some adhesive I'd have to battle with) I thought I'd post here before I began taking it apart as I'm new to kegging. Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

:mug:

EDIT - I'm thinking it would look like this after I took the top off http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=5781
I could always just buy one of these if I needed to. Is this the same as the regular handled ones but without the big handles?

I have never tried to remove them, but have you considered making a collar to raise up your deep freezer lid? It makes it much safer cutting holes for your taps also?

It's not a deep freezer...it's a Sanyo MB-1206. It wouldn't be reasonable to modify it to give me additional clearance. I'd rather take my chances breaking the keg than the fridge. I'm not set on 3 kegs but it sure would be nice!

before you do this make sure your you account for the height of the gas/liquid post as they rise up higher than the handles on my kegs.

before you do this make sure your you account for the height of the gas/liquid post as they rise up higher than the handles on my kegs.

Thanks. I will need to measure but I only need a few to slide the keg back about 2 inches to make it fit - since the posts are in the middle, I think it will work.

How about just taking a Sawzall to one of the handles if you only need it to go back a couple of inches?

Mike

I have a junk cornie laying around so I went out and sawed one side off! I just used a short hand saw (wood) I cut it easily in a couple of minutes. You can gain almost 2" of clearance until you hit the post's then you drop to 1/2".

I have a junk cornie laying around so I went out and sawed one side off! I just used a short hand saw (wood) I cut it easily in a couple of minutes. You can gain almost 2" of clearance until you hit the post's then you drop to 1/2".

Awesome! Thanks for doing that! I'll have to give that a try. If it fits, I'm off to buy a new manifold and gas line!

Is this a Spartan keg, or one of those high-rubber-collar type jobs? The Spartan has just a single black plastic handle on one side and the other side is bare metal. I have both types and found that if the Spartans went to the back of the frig, they tucked under a ledge and let me get more kegs (2) in.

I *think* the handles on the Spartans are screwed on with screw heads accessible from outside (i'm at work right now so I can't dbl check) -- you might be able to remove them to put the kegs in the frig, but put 'em back on to schlep 'em around.

As an added bonus, they're cheaper!:mug:

Are you sure of the model number of your Sanyo? I can't find any reference online to a Sanyo MB-1206. I do, however, know that Sanyo makes the BC-1206, as this is the kegerator that I bought from the Beverage Factory.

I can fit three ball lock kegs in this fridge, just as long as the two kegs in the back are of the single handle design, or two double handle kegs with one of the handles cut off with a sawzall.

4295-DSC02172.jpg

You probably want to consider getting single handled kegs. The Chi Company sells them for less than the dual handled ones.
DSCF6138.jpg

You probably want to consider getting single handled kegs. The Chi Company sells them for less than the dual handled ones.
DSCF6138.jpg

Yes! Those single-handle jobs are Spartans. The handles attach with a big phillips screw on each end. So, if you have to, you could take the handles off *without* a Sawzall!

DSCF6138.jpg

Yes! Those single-handle jobs are Spartans. The handles attach with a big phillips screw on each end. So, if you have to, you could take the handles off *without* a Sawzall!

Latest posts

Back