What beer for an Oak Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh10

Reaction score
Just got my barrel from Farmhouse Brewing Supply on here, and trying to figure what beer to brew for it? Any suggestions, barrels were filled with Rum, and Id prefer not to do a RIS, since is pretty common now.

Old Ale
Barleywine
Strong Scotch Ale

I aged my old ale on some medium toast chips for just shy of 6 weeks... Gave it a really nice flavor/character... I plan on doing it again in some future brews... Now that I think about it, I might just put some oak into my strong Scotch ale that's been in primary for just over 5 weeks... Good use for one of my new 5.16 gallon Sanke kegs. :D

second the oud bruin and barleywine... barleywine just got put on the "to brew" list... little late, but i'm hoping it'll be good by xmas.

I also found that it was traditional to age ales,porters,or stouts in used bourbon casks. Known since colonial times as "whiskely",or whiskey beer. I'm going to try a dark ale with bourbon soaked oak chips myself. The used casks where said to have as much as a liter of whiskey soaked into them/remaining in them. Things that make ya go hmmm?...

I just put my Wee Heavy into my barrel. IT has been a while since I was anxious for a brew to be ready, but this has hit that point.

Latest posts

Back