Rochefort 10 Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaineriv

Reaction score
I have a recipe for this brew that recommends using Wyeast's Strong Ale yeast, but recently, after drinking a bottle, I noticed what appeared to be yeast collecting on the bottom a few days later. Does anyone know anything about the yeast in this brew? I know many of the Trappist-type ales use multiple yeast cultures in a single batch, so I wouldn't want to reculture yeast from a bottle and use it in the primary unless someone could confirm that it is the same yeast they use for the whole fermentation process.

captaineriv

Unfortunately, you're right about Rochefort, but overall a very helpful link. If I cannot find much out, I suppose I could make the starter using some of the hops thought to occur in the beer and then compare it as best I can to the real thing. Might be a little hard to do w/o the specialty grains though. I could also use the yeast cultured from the bottle in conjunction with the Wyeast strain unless someone has any reason why this might be an unwise idea.

captaineriv

captaineriv said:
I could also use the yeast cultured from the bottle in conjunction with the Wyeast strain unless someone has any reason why this might be an unwise idea.​

Not sure if it's unwise, but I don't really see any advantage. If it's the primary strain, you'll be muddling it with the Wyeast. If it's a bottling strain, you'll be muddling the Wyeast. Seems to me.​

captaineriv said:
Unfortunately, you're right about Rochefort, but overall a very helpful link. If I cannot find much out, I suppose I could make the starter using some of the hops thought to occur in the beer and then compare it as best I can to the real thing. Might be a little hard to do w/o the specialty grains though. I could also use the yeast cultured from the bottle in conjunction with the Wyeast strain unless someone has any reason why this might be an unwise idea.

captaineriv
a better approach would be to split the batch and ferment half of it with wyeast and half of it with bottle-harvested yeast...

Upon further investigation, it turns out that Rochefort does indeed use two different strains of yeast, but I could not find out what the primary strain was or when each strain is used. Since I am not familiar with the concept of multiple strains, would it be most likely that one "primary" strain is for fermentation and the other strictly for bottle conditioning, or might it be that both are used to some extent throughout the entire process? I know that with many Hefeweizens, a strain is used exclusively for bottling. I just didn't know if it was likely to be different with other styles.

captaineriv

From http://www.classiccitybrew.com/rochefort.html :

"Rochefort contains a complex blend of two yeast strains -- both in the primary fermenter and in the bottles."

If I'm interpreting this right, I'm taking that by using the words "blend," and "both in the primary fermenter and in the bottles," it is saying that Rochefort uses these two strains together throughout the process. However, the word "complex" preceding "blend" scares me a little. I imagine it has something to do with the quantity of each yeast used. I wonder if the remains in the bottle are representive of the original proportions of each strain (therefore capable of being cultured and used in primary), or if the remains consist mainly of the strain that survives that long (for whatever reason). Any thoughts on this?

captaineriv

I hope nobody minds my consecutive replies to myself so I'll try to make this the last, but I found something at: http://smurman.best.vwh.net/zymurgy/wyeast.html that says the source for Wyeast 1762 -- Abbey Ale II is Rochefort whereas the source for the yeast my recipe (from Szamatulski's "Beer Captured" book) calls for is Duvel. Maybe I should consider using the 1762? I'm pretty sure that Rochefort uses the same yeasts in all three of their ales.

captaineriv

That's correct. It is the 1338 that they call for. However, I was initially considering culturing the yeast from the Rochefort bottle until the link I provided in the previous post stated that Rochefort is the likely source for Wyeast 1762. If that is indeed accurate, I was wondering if it might be better to try the 1762, or safer to stick with one of the two in the recipe.

captaineriv​

Back