Question about water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRems

Reaction score
Hi, I just got a basic water test done today( it was free at home depot)
they told me I have 320 total dissolved solids, .3 fe , hardness of 171, but he said he was surprised about the ph, he thought to would be alkaline but he said it was slightly acidic at 6.9. So what does that mean for me? I know I have a very high hardness, I plan to brew a Pilsen style pilsner and probably going to buy ro water and use a little of my water for minerals. Any tips?
I don't have a ph meter and never used 5.2, but I have heard conflicting reports about it. If I'm using ro water is it beneficial. Thanks I'll stop my rambling now.

That water report is not sufficient to plan any brewing water adjustments. If you're planning a Pilsner, then the recommendations of the Water Primer are appropriate.

The iron at 0.3 is right at the EPA's MCL (Maximum Concentration Limit) for that ion which, as it is a secondary MCL, means that the limit is imposed for aesthetic, not health reasons. IOW the water, and beer made from it, is likely to taste metallic. The hardness of 171 indicates reasonably high hardness which will have to be accompanied by either reasonably high alkalinity or quite high sulfate/chloride or some of each. For a fuller picture you should send a sample off to Ward Labs for a suite of tests more suited to brewing.

There is no reason to be surprised about the pH as 6.9 isn't at all uncommon for water from wells. OTOH if your man tests lots of water from your region and it nearly always comes in at 8 but yours came in at 6.9 that may be reason for surprise.

Until you know more about what is in this water you are probably better off using RO water with supplemental calcium chloride (i.e. the Primer as has been recommended).

Back