Beginners luck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did my first all grain brew last night...a summer wheat ale. It was a trip. I did a double decoction mash and used a zapap with insulation. It actually held the heat very very well, and the only real mishap I had was that my protein rest was way high. I added 136 degree water to the grain and it only lost a couple of degrees, so I was at ~133 degrees. I had to add almost a gallon of cool water to get it in the 125 range. This increased my boil volume significantly and kept me up wayyy later than expected (was up until 1 am, had to be up at 5:45, ouch). However, I had no other issues to speak of. Mash temps held strong, and the decoction went perfect. Ended up with a 8 gallon boil and boiled it down to ~6 gallons. So here is the "luck" part. I used 5lbs 2-row, 3lbs Wheat Malt, 1 lb Munich and my post boil gravity was 1.044. According to Tastybrew's calculator, that puts me at an efficiency of 78.8%!! Oh, and also, that reading hasn't been adjusted for temp, which was about 80. All in all I am pretty happy with this brew. With that grain bill, I bittered with 1oz Mt. Hood, and added 1oz Tettnang, and the zest of one lemon and one orange at flame out. Used WLP300 hefe yeast, and I have it sitting at ~67 degrees with a blowff tube. No action this morning, but it had only been about 5 hours.

Congrats... :mug:

I also did my first All Grain batch yesterday. I started out with an easy Pale ale and modified it to a 3 gallon recipe. Everything went perfect. Woke up this morning, checked the carboy and its bubbling along.

I'm really excited about All Grain brewing. I have to say its MUCH more rewarding than extract brewing.

david_42 said:
Plan on a massive krausen. Hope you have a blowoff tube on it.

Yeah....we'll see. I do have blowoff tube, but I am not using a carboy. I am using the 7 gallon bucket with 3/8" tubing running out of the hole in the lid, into a pitcher of sanitizer. Being that it is ~6 gallons in a 7 gallon bucket, and being that it is hefe yeast, I dont know if that 3/8" tube is going to be able to handle it. Time will tell!!

Sounds like a great 1st AG experience and will probably have an amazing first brew from it!

In the future, make sure you stir A LOT at dough in. I find that the temp will continue to drop for a while as the temperature equalizes. And if you overshoot, ice cubes are much more effective at lowering the temp than cold water. I've found that it usually takes 3-4 cubes per degree. Just make sure you stir, stir, stir after you add them.

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely try that next go round. Stirring must have been the problem, I thought I stirred pretty good, but maybe not...only losing a few degrees seems unheard of. From what I have read 8-10 is more typical.

It was a great experience. Sucks I had to stay up so late, but that is my own fault for starting so late. Just have to make sure I get to bed early tonight and all will be well.

sixtyten said:
I'm really excited about All Grain brewing. I have to say its MUCH more rewarding than extract brewing.

I whole heartedly agree! Man, the quality of the finished product is better than many micro brews out there and WAY better than any BMC IMHO.

Welcome to the club, The All Grain Club!

david_42 said:
Plan on a massive krausen. Hope you have a blowoff tube on it.

Very, very close last night. I have been keeping a regular eye on it, because as I mentioned I am just using a bucket with 3/8" tubing running out of the hole in the lid. So, I got home from work last night and the first thing I do is go check on it....no bubbles whatsoever and all kinds of krausen in the tube. At this point, I noticed that the lid on the bucket was VERY swelled. So I pulled the tube out and a big stream of high pressure air came out...cleaned out the line, re-sanitized and put it back in and t started bubbling away again. Impossible to say how long it would have held, but I dont think it would have been more than a couple of hours before it was ceiling bound.

:p

Sounds more like skill than luck to me. :)
If you have one or more minor mishaps while brewing, manage to work around them, and still get good results, then you are well on your way. :D

-a.

I would say leave the blow off on for a while. I am using WLP300 and it started strong, had a blow-off on, sounded like galloping horses in the jug. Bubbles slowed and I had a couple inches to the top of the carboy. Around day 2.5 it started foaming, 4 days later and still pushing out the blow-off.

Yeah, I am using a two liter jug filled with sanitizer for my blow off, and I have had to empty it and refill it twice now. Definitely had a nice hard ferment. Day 4 today, and this morning it seemed like things are starting to subside. If it still appears that way this afternoon, I will open her up and take a reading.

Back