Webcam to monitor the fermentation process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggie

Reaction score
I want to set-up a camera, capable of streaming live video, to monitor the yeast as they work making beer. The issue is, the camera is not infra-red and must have some light for the image to be seen.

Does anyone know of a type of light source (incandescent or fluorescent) that is safe to use inside a dark room/area and will not harm the fermentation process?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

While I can't help with the question, if you get it figured out, send me the web link so that I can watch them yeasties at work.

I haven't looked into this in a few years, so they are probably even cheaper and smaller and even more readily available now, but I used to be able to go to the local electronics store, and buy small security cameras mounted on a circuit board, that were surrounded with a ring of infrared led's, and these things only required 12v to operate.. The circuit boards were only an inch and a half or two inches square....

you hooked up a video cable to them and monitored on a video monitor (in in your case the video in of your computer)....

5-7 years ago, these were less than 30 dollars for the color versions, less for the B&W....

As long as IR won't hurt the beer (I have no idea), these things should be ideal for your needs...

Harbor freight sells security camera kits.. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold a camera with an IR source..

Do a search on google for inexpensive IR powered security cameras...

check out ustream.com or veetle.com, you can stream for free with both. all you need is a webcam and an internet connection.

Sounds exciting as the grass blowing in the wind.

Time lapse videos can be interesting though, if done correctly. You only need a camera and an intervalometer for that, then it's all software (quicktime) to stitch the jpg's together.

this could be neat for about 3 minutes if you're a new brewer, after that you'll regret the time you wasted on it. It's pointless.

True indeed, but it does beat just staring at a webcam of a fermentation.
Especially since you could squish a weeks fermentation into 30 seconds (if that).
I doubt seasoned brewers would care to watch it like you say though. After a couple of brews you already know what happens anyway.

I suppose you could always make it interesting though and put a big brew in a small carboy with an airlock which is sure to clog. I doubt anyone's seen a carboy explode on camera! ;)

I don't see the point in this but would like to know the answer to what light would hurt the brew or yeast

Most damage comes from the ultraviolet and visible ranges of light.
Infrared light, shouldn't hurt it at all.

Back