Am I the only person on this forum who likes beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like it? I love it. PBR, and the old Schlitz, Naragaset and even BMC. I don't really care for light beer, but will drink it. Stout is not my fav.

I think I make better beer than what is listed above but am not a beer snob.

My favorite beer is yours, or his, or hers.

"I like beer" =

Cousin Eddie likes beer.

cousineddie.jpg

Yes, and his ****ter's full.

I like a lot of beers. I do not like a lot of beers. There are a WHOLE LOT of beers to choose from. As long as they have alcohol...

:rockin:

Wow, I just had an epiphany. Based on reading through this thread here’s what I’ve learned about myself:

I hate fish. Why? Because I don’t like it.
I hate Dairy. Why, because I don’t like all types.
I hate Chicken. Why, because I don’t like all of the ways it’s prepared.
I hate Beef. (answer same to that of chicken)

So it must be that I hate beer. Seriously though, I like whatever’s in your fridge or kegerator. Oh, and I've been to the Phillipines and drank some of the beer simply titled: Extra Strong! At least that's what I think it was called. After a night of drinking one tends to remember less and less! :tank:

Liking beer and being a discerning beer drinker are not mutually exclusive.

+1

I'll drink almost any beer (except at least the one lambic I had in Amsterdam... couldn't finish that one, but I'd probably try it again anyway), and I'll enjoy it, at least a little.

I just won't pay for most of the beer out there. I'll never pay for BMC, but if that's all there was, I'd drink it.

Stout is not my fav.

Oh, well that just clears it in the world according to Dave: you don't like beer if you don't like stout:cross: You could like or dislike BMC, other lagers, IPAs, etc etc....but if you don't like stout, then you must not like beer ;) :D

Seriously, if everyone starts voicing what their favorite styles of beer are...we'll have completely different answers. Some of us will have particular passions towards certain styles....some of us will feel indifferent towards others....how does that mean that none of us like beer?? :confused:

"......I appreciate what Schlitz did bringing back their 1960's all malt recipe and love it that beer." ~BierMuncher

Thanks BierMuncher, I was beginning to think I was the only one here who would admit that they loved a good Schlitz too! I'd like to find and extract Schlitz clone some time!
All hail the Kiss of the Hops!

Wow a lot of opinions floating around. Some people had a little fun with this topic, others seemed to get angry. I was hoping we could have a spirited but light hearted discussion.

Let me share a little bit about my self. I learned to appreciate beer in college. Most of my friends like the premium domestic beers/ micro brews/ imports. They didn't like Miller's lite or Coors. In fact I somewhat learned to hate these beers. It's as if in order to like a quality beer a person must hate everything else. I've seen this attitude sometimes show up on these forums. Not by everyone, of course. I've recently decided that I don't hate Coors light. In fact I enjoy it. I don't enjoy it as much as some other beers, but I still enjoy it. It's kind of like orange juice. I like fresh squeezed the best. It's so much better then orange juice from concentrate that it's difficult to adequately express the gulf between the two. Yet I still like orange juice from concentrate. I think there are beers out there that are so much better then Coors, that it's hard to place them in the same category, yet I'll still enjoy drinking a Coors.

The replies have been interesting and diverse. There were a lot of people who do like a lot of different beers. And some people were like me and could enjoy just about anything. And then there were those who would flat out refuse a beer if it wasn't to there liking. I'm also surprised that a couple of replies lumped all BMC beers together. I don't see much in common between Blue Moon and Millers, but that's just me. One person said he wanted to support the micro breweries. That, I think, is commendable. Although I enjoy Blue Moon, I don't want to live in a world where only one company controlled all the beer. IMO, variety is the second best thing about beer.

And then there was a couple of people who just liked brewing for an excuse to sanitize. I think that's a great reason to make beer. I'd encourage you to continue. If you ever need to get rid of that extra beer, so you can make room for more sanitizing, you can send it my way.

Then there were those who argued against my point that you can't really say you like beer if you only like a small percentage. I think the problem comes from an ambiguity in the English language. If I say "I like my house", or "I like my car", or "I like my beer" it's pretty clear what is meant. But if I say "I like houses," "I like cars" or I like beer," it's not as clear. Do I mean I like all houses? Do I mean I like only some of them? Does it mean that I like most of them?

"......I appreciate what Schlitz did bringing back their 1960's all malt recipe and love it that beer." ~BierMuncher

Thanks BierMuncher, I was beginning to think I was the only one here who would admit that they loved a good Schlitz too! I'd like to find and extract Schlitz clone some time!
All hail the Kiss of the Hops!

I'm telling ya...if you haven't picked up a six pack of there new (retro) formula...you're missing something.

Schlitz once had a reputation for being the "richest" tasting of the lagers out there in BMC land. This thing tastes almost like a helles.

I give the OP props, sort of. Almost 100 replies on a thread in one day. Talk about nearly epic. Even if the topic was a bit lame. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
... Then there were those who argued against my point that you can't really say you like beer if you only like a small percentage. I think the problem comes from an ambiguity in the English language. If I say "I like my house", or "I like my car", or "I like my beer" it's pretty clear what is meant. But if I say "I like houses," "I like cars" or I like beer," it's not as clear. Do I mean I like all houses? Do I mean I like only some of them? Does it mean that I like most of them?

That actually gives me a different perspective on what someone might mean by "I like beer":

Imagine someone says, "I like houses." What would that mean to you? To me it means that this person takes an interest in houses and wants to know more about each house that he comes into contact with. Perhaps building methods, architecture, decor, what it looked like when it was built as opposed to now...

This does not mean that the person likes all houses in the sense that he would want to live in all of them. I may not even mean that he has an interest in all houses: cookie-cutter development houses may not be so great to look at.

Does that mean that this person does not like houses? Not at all! Instead it means that the phrase "I like houses" should be interpreted as "I have a deep interest in houses."

Similarly, "I like beer" should be interpreted as "I have a deep interest in beer." It doesn't mean that you like to drink all beer out there; instead it means that you have an interest in how beer is made, what styles exist, how they differ, and what is different in modern beer than beer from the past. You may not like to drink BMC, but you're probably still interested in how it's made in comparison to Sam Adams or homebrew.

I brewed in the late 90s and stopped right at year 2000. I just started brewing again this year. I virtually did not drink beer during those 9 years. Now I drink a couple every night...but I don't buy ANY beer...I only drink what I make. So on one hand you could say I don't like beer but on another you could say I do. Whatever melts your butter.:)

EDIT: imo, if you go to all the trouble of making beer...you like beer.

I think the problem comes from an ambiguity in the English language. If I say "I like my house", or "I like my car", or "I like my beer" it's pretty clear what is meant. But if I say "I like houses," "I like cars" or I like beer," it's not as clear. Do I mean I like all houses? Do I mean I like only some of them? Does it mean that I like most of them?

A language cannot be ambiguous. If one says, "I like cars.", in French, Chinese, or Inuit, it doesn't make it more clear. A statement can be ambiguous. Like, "Am I the only person on this forum who likes beer?", is ambiguous. If one queried, "Am I the only person on this forum that likes all beers?",or "cheap beers?, or "poorly crafted, watered down, mass produced, catering to the lowest common denominator beers?", that would have been clearer.

When one communicates in generalizations, that person is going to have to deal with others who are not going to view the subject the same as the speaker or writer. This will lead to misinterpretation of one's intended meaning and frustration in the audience and communicator. Being able to use a language intelligently allows one to avoid confusion by eliminating ambiguity.

A speaker or writer who purposely uses generalizations to illicit a response form an audience of peers and later proses on the virtues of his statement and how it lead to an "interesting and diverse" discussion, is egotistical and a little sad. But, to blame a language for ones own inability to communicate, that reveals the author's true capacity.

"poorly crafted, watered down, mass produced, catering to the lowest common denominator beers?",

When one communicates in generalizations, that person is going to have to deal with others who are not going to view the subject the same as the speaker or writer.

Pot, Kettle. There are plenty of mass produced beers that are quite good.

Pot, Kettle. There are plenty of mass produced beers that are quite good.

But, are they "poorly crafted, watered down, mass produced, catering to the lowest common denominator beers"? That is a pretty clear and definitive statement.

But, are they "poorly crafted, watered down, mass produced, catering to the lowest common denominator beers"? That is a pretty clear and definitive statement.

Catering to the lowest common denominator? Surely.
Mass produced? Who cares
Watered down? No. Session beers exist for a reason.
Poorly crafted? Absolutely not. The beers they brew are some of the toughest to replicate.

After reading through all 11 pages of this post i think it is safe to say that....Yes.....We all like beer.... So no...You are not the only one... :confused:

That actually gives me a different perspective on what someone might mean by "I like beer":

Imagine someone says, "I like houses." What would that mean to you? To me it means that this person takes an interest in houses and wants to know more about each house that he comes into contact with. Perhaps building methods, architecture, decor, what it looked like when it was built as opposed to now...

This does not mean that the person likes all houses in the sense that he would want to live in all of them. I may not even mean that he has an interest in all houses: cookie-cutter development houses may not be so great to look at.

Does that mean that this person does not like houses? Not at all! Instead it means that the phrase "I like houses" should be interpreted as "I have a deep interest in houses."

Similarly, "I like beer" should be interpreted as "I have a deep interest in beer." It doesn't mean that you like to drink all beer out there; instead it means that you have an interest in how beer is made, what styles exist, how they differ, and what is different in modern beer than beer from the past. You may not like to drink BMC, but you're probably still interested in how it's made in comparison to Sam Adams or homebrew.

I think this pretty much sums up at least my feeling when I say "I like...."

it's much more concise to say that versus "I have a deep interest in..."

Nice post.:mug:

This argument sound alot like my brothers-inlaws view. They basicly just think they dont like different beers because other people tell them they suck.
1 of them will only drink bud light.
the other one will only drink miller light. If you dont have the right one they will just drink water instead.
But, I always have a 1/4 barrel on tap for when they come over. Its Either Blatz or Hamms because its way cheaper.
But I just leave the plastic cover from either Bud light or Miller light on the bench where they can see it and they dont think twice about it because they think they are drinking what they want.
I am not saying that you aint gonna tell the difference between Honkers ale or London Porter from a Bud, but Cmon, beer is beer.

Boy, there's some really deep philosophy in this thread- surprised I took so long to check in.
When I boil the OP down, it's saying "If you don't like all beers, you don't like beer." Which could as easily be translated "If you only like Old Style, you really don't like beer."
As far as the OP is concerned, I'll only say- "There ain't no 'countin for taste."

However, this thread has wandered pretty far afield from that. The post quoted above states a very relevant proposition: "They basicly just think they dont like different beers because other people tell them they suck. "
Perhaps not as succinctly put as what my father used to say, "People are sheep." Well, most people would bristle if you pointed a finger at them and accused them of following the herd, but look around. There are people standing up in thousand-dollar suits and telling us we can spend our way out of a serious recession "-with only a few trillion more." I'd feel a whole lot better about people like that if I didn't know the difference between chicken salad and chicken s***.

EDIT: Crud! Might need to contribute...

I think the key difference is between someone who is closed and won't try a beer they've never had and someone who HAS had a style and just can't enjoy it.

For me? Porters and Saison are not something I'll drink. I've tried a few different beers from each style and always ended up giving it away or leaving it.

And a response....

lolzcat.JPG

This thread is funny. I almost don't know what to do.

Hmm... was I offended by the first post? Do I like beer? I make my own!! Or did I laugh at the post? Was it a joke? A clever ploy designed to bring out the best or worst in the readers? How scandalous! I may have read the post and thought it was a serious question, worthy of a well thought out and serious response. Well my $.02 will get lost in this silly mess anyway, so I guess I have to say something.

I like beer. Clearly everyone here likes beer. The reasons why we don't drink all beers have nothing to do with beer at all. They have to do with our own opinions about everything other than beer. Right? Some people think BMC is the devil. Mass produced, liquid evil in a bottle doled out to the masses in an attmept to brainwash John Q Public into thinking it's what real beer is. If that's what you believe, that's enought to make you not like Buttwiper. If you like how it tastes, and don't care about who makes it or how, then you like it. Beer is beer, in and of itself. It's own virtue, if you will. The flavor of beer, the styles, the color, the process by which it is made and everything that makes you enjoy or hate it, is not beer. Those are just the things associated with beer that we use to formulate our preferences.

Do vegans not eat animal products because they are gross? No, it's because they believe it's wrong to use animals as/for food. It has nothing to do with the products.

Do you love or hate life? Life itself? Or do you love or hate the things in your life that make it happy/miserable?

What does any of this actually have to do with BEER?

Roman

I buy Milwaukee's best light all the time, love it. I also buy tons of microbrews and love those as well. I love all the beer I make too. I've even enjoyed me some malt liquor. I Love Beer. Just because I love NY Strip doesn't mean I don't enjoy a chuck steak.

This thread is funny. I almost don't know what to do.

Hmm... was I offended by the first post? Do I like beer? I make my own!! Or did I laugh at the post? Was it a joke? A clever ploy designed to bring out the best or worst in the readers? How scandalous! I may have read the post and thought it was a serious question, worthy of a well thought out and serious response. Well my $.02 will get lost in this silly mess anyway, so I guess I have to say something.

I like beer....

The flavor of beer, the styles, the color, the process by which it is made and everything that makes you enjoy or hate it, is not beer. Those are just the things associated with beer that we use to formulate our preferences.

Do vegans not eat animal products because they are gross? No, it's because they believe it's wrong to use animals as/for food. It has nothing to do with the products.

Do you love or hate life? Life itself? Or do you love or hate the things in your life that make it happy/miserable?

What does any of this actually have to do with BEER?

Roman

How have I missed out on this one? Gotta agree with Roman, here. Sarcasm and all.

I like beer, a lot. Just like everyone else on here. I think the real question the OP should have asked was "Do you like to get drunk?" I think thats really all he's wondering. Drinking beer is just the path to a accomplish a "goal."

So, if that's the question... wait what was the question, sorry, I'm a little out of it from drinking all day...:drunk:

I'm still trying to decide if I do like beer or not. Can you send me some and I will try it and let you know. This is a big decision so it may take years of multiple sample days to decide.

Latest posts

Back