steeping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
To keep the temp at 155 to steep my grains(as per directions in midwest kit) do I need to keep the burner on, or do I cover and let it sit and allow the temp to drop during the 15-30 minute steep time?

I typically heat the water to NO MORE than 170, then I drop in my grains. After 30 minutes, the temp only drops 10-15 degrees.

I typically heat the water to NO MORE than 170, then I drop in my grains. After 30 minutes, the temp only drops 10-15 degrees.

+1

I just took my boil off the heat and am waiting for it to drop to 170, then I will steep for 20-30 minutes

As a matter of fact, her it is

DSCN1873.jpg

I think I might have squeezed the grains too much, I didn't realize when it said a light squeeze it meant it, I just read some things that say that will ruin the beer. I squeezed like 5 or 6 times, like a tea bag, any way to fix it?

I think I might have squeezed the grains too much, I didn't realize when it said a light squeeze it meant it, I just read some things that say that will ruin the beer. I squeezed like 5 or 6 times, like a tea bag, any way to fix it?

Don't worry, i did that the first couple times i brewed and it didn't have any big effect. It will not ruin the beer, just might cause some off-flavors if it does anything at all but the beer will still be very drinkable.

What i do with my steeping grains is i have a small pot of hot water that i pour over the bag when i take it out of the pot.

I've always read and was told NOT to squeeze the grains because tannins and other non-desirables will get in. Just let it drip and run water over it.

I guess we will see what happens, I had a starting reading of 1.090, I guess that is normal. It is downstairs fermenting now... I figure next week I will transfer it to the glass, then the week or so after into the keg...

Latest posts

Back