This little Keggle of Mine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have got to brag to someone, as SWMBO really doesn't care....but Here is my friend welding my bung into my keg. He was pretty good humored about the whole deal, and has not said anything about how stupid I was for not using the proper size drill bit in the first place.

hole_saw.jpg

__utf-8_b_su1hmdaxmjauanbn__-feed.jpg

I think BK doped the kids...I mean, man if I were a boy that age I'd be all over that welding action...I mean it's FIRE fer chrissakes...I'd be like "Hey Mister" with like 50,000 questions...of course I'd be like that now...(I'm such a kid sometimes, did anyone see my post about Coast Guard Days over the summer?)

notNerd.jpg

:D

This too is my next upgrade. Get all that weldless crap off my cans.

Just a curiosity. Looks like he is welding the end of the coupler to the face of the keg. I have always seen these welded half way through (that is, half in and half out).

Any particular reason you/he didn't do that?

IM sorry but honestly those kids should not watch you weld no eye protection this comming from a welder!!

They are not watching, but thanks for your concern. They both have their eyes closed, and they are actually shielded by the guy doing the welding. Both of them have been around welders and shops their entire lives, they know enough NOT to look at the arc.

They are not watching, but thanks for your concern. They both have their eyes closed, and they are actually shielded by the guy doing the welding. Both of them have been around welders and shops their entire lives, they know enough NOT to look at the arc.

I was going to say that those kids either listen really well :D or they have been around welders before.

I was not such a good listener. I got yelled at constantly because I couldn't resist peeking.

BTW, is that a 2nd gen camaro in the background? Not important to the discussion but I'm curious if my guess was right.

Why are the kids in the picture - thus in the room with the arc, and have nothing over their eyes? Terrible for eyes, bad for exposed skin. Ignore practically everything you've seen on TV shows with welders - welding safety is about the last thing that will ever get on TV, evidently.

Thanks very much to all of you for the par renting advice, but Get Over It.
I have been raising these kids since birth, and believe it or not it is possible to teach a child to do simple pet tricks. Believe it or not, they don't play in the street, nor do they play cowboys and Indians with real guns...which are also often in the same room.
These kids have been around welders and shops their entire life, as have I, and they are probabaly better versed in shop safety than you are. I suppose that in all of your inspired observations you noticed that both kids have their eyes closed...as trained, and they are exposed to Such an incredible flash of nuclear blast that there isn't even a flash shadow behind them. WOW...What Danger.

Wish I could get mine welded. I'll have to stick with weldless for now.

Hey why don't those kids.... oh, their eyes are closed. :D

This too is my next upgrade. Get all that weldless crap off my cans.

Just a curiosity. Looks like he is welding the end of the coupler to the face of the keg. I have always seen these welded half way through (that is, half in and half out).

Any particular reason you/he didn't do that?

By welding to the face you have a smooth sanitizable surface on the inside where your wort is. Since this is the Boil Kettle it should not make much difference other than ease of cleaning. It also looks nicer inside since grinding and sanding are a Beotch inside a container around a stub.

Nice welds BK! Wish my welder friends had them skills.

There are no closeup shots of his welds. How can you tell they are nice welds?

My Gawd you guys are needy....I'd get you a close up tonight when I get home.....

Also, It's not exactly a face weld. I had him tilt it down slightly to avoid runnings chasing back up the spout, and insert it far enough that we didn't jack up the threads. I may some day want to thread something in there from the inside.

IM sorry but honestly those kids should not whatch you weld no eye protection this comming from a welder!!

I was going to say that those kids either listen really well :D or they have been around welders before.

I was not such a good listener. I got yelled at constantly because I couldn't resist peeking.

BTW, is that a 2nd gen camaro in the background? Not important to the discussion but I'm curious if my guess was right.

Thanks very much to all of you for the par renting advice, but Get Over It.
I have been raising these kids since birth, and believe it or not it is possible to teach a child to do simple pet tricks. Believe it or not, they don't play in the street, nor do they play cowboys and Indians with real guns...which are also often in the same room.
These kids have been around welders and shops their entire life, as have I, and they are probabaly better versed in shop safety than you are. I suppose that in all of your inspired observations you noticed that both kids have their eyes closed...as trained, and they are exposed to Such an incredible flash of nuclear blast that there isn't even a flash shadow behind them. WOW...What Danger.

I grew up in my granddad's welding shop. I watched him weld. I looked at the arc.

It did not burn my eyes into two smoking craters in my skull. I did not grow extra limbs. I didn't even get a sunburn. It's an electric arc, not Sarin. The worst thing that would happen was if my granddad caught me looking without a mask. He could throw a welding rod hard. And accurately.

There's safety, and then there's ridiculous. Yes, I make my kid put on a seat belt in the car. No, I don't make her wear a helmet too.

[/rant]

IP, the lack of discoloration is the first clue, the fact that BK said the holes were the wrong size(probably too big) which means there had to be some filling going on in the weld without the above mentioned discoloration, and the one pic shows a fairly even bead in an oversized hole. These are the signs that it was a decent weld.
BK, to preserve the threads on the inside I think the easiest way would be to screw in a brass nipple prior to welding. It would protect the threads from splatter, shouldn't seize, and would be easily tapped out if it did seize.

Back