how long for cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals:
1)How long does one need to cold crash a secondary. I am sure this varies but what are the min/max?
2)Does time vary depending on beer type? By how long it's been in the secondary?
3)Do I put the glass carboy into the fridge? When I move the carboy out of the refrigerator to fill the keg will I re-disturb the yeast? Thanks Charlie

I just put my carboy in my freezer that I do lagers in for a couple days. I just leave the temp at whatever temp my lager is at.

Normal ale should age 3-4 weeks. 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, then age 3-4 weeks all at fermentation temp. Then cold crash 2-3 days should do. You can force carbonate and cold crash at the same time in the fridge for 5-7 days.

I use cornies as secondaries. But since you plan to move your brew from a carboy to a cornie keg I'd do that before cold crashing.

Thanks I was thinking that CC in the secondary would keep the beer "cleaner" when transferred to a keg. My beers are clean looking when I leave them in the keg for extended periods BUT if they get moved the yeast gets suspended back into the beer.

Latest posts

Back