Needs more bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpie

Reaction score
Hey everybody, first time poster. Brewed my first minimash Thursday afternoon and have a question about my fermentation.

Austin Homebrew Supply's Anchor Steam "clone" (1 oz Northern Brewer pellets for bittering + 1 oz Simcoe leaf split between a 20' addition and a 0' addition). I left the aroma hop in the wort (only mentioning it because I don't know if this was conventional practice or not), brewed up and pitched a White Labs SF Lager yeast about 50 hours ago. Steady 72-75 degree ambient temps. 24 hours after pitching I was getting a burp from the (3-piece) airlock every 4 to 5 seconds and now it has slowed to about once every 8 to 10 seconds. I'm concerned. Was thinking about maybe pitching another vial into my FV. Is that allowed/frowned-upon/completely stupid?

I know I probably didn't add enough details here so if you need to know anything I'll be glad to try and answer any questions.

Thanks for the help, I'm looking forward to wasting many many hours here =) :mug:

First of all SF lager yeasts optimum temp range is 58°F-65°F according to WL, hence the term lager (cold fermented, and cold conditioned). if you are fermenting in the 70°-75°F Ale range, then I can understand why you are having issues.

BTW is it California, or SF lager? Regardless, your temps are too high, I would be fermenting in the low 60's for the yeast you are using, say 62°F.

I would think the issue is your temps in this case. Also, airlock activity is a poor indicator of fermentation, take your hydrometer to it to see what the change in your SG is, that will give you a more comprehensive answer.

And taste it, you might have some funky flavors going on with that yeast in your temp range.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Make a starter next time too. Pitch it at the right temperature and you will be rewarded with a cleaner tasting product.

WLP810 - San Francisco Lager.. Thanks. I'm just following the set of instructions which said to ferment at 70-75°F. I can bring it down to the basement which is at about 60-65° for a day and check the gravity, but I thought the process of a steam beer used a lager yeast but fermented at ale temps... no?

Many use a temp in the low sixties for their ales; otherwise, you can experience unpleasant flavours.

I don't specifically know that yeast, mind you.

B

Why are you concerned? Based on what you've described (all the good advice above notwithstanding) you've got an active fermentation that seems to be progressing. It's perfectly normal for the amount of gas being let off to reduce as fermentation continues. I don't believe adding more yeast would make a bit of difference, and I don't believe you have anything significant to worry about.

WLP810 - San Francisco Lager.. Thanks. I'm just following the set of instructions which said to ferment at 70-75°F. I can bring it down to the basement which is at about 60-65° for a day and check the gravity, but I thought the process of a steam beer used a lager yeast but fermented at ale temps... no?

Yes, but 75 degrees is too warm even for ales. Also, keep in mind that if your room was 75, the fermenting beer was easily 5-10 degrees warmer than the ambient air. When we talk about fermentation temperature, we're talking about the beer temperature. A stick on thermometer on the outside of the fermenter helps see the temperature at a glance. At 75-80 degrees, a beer can ferment out overnight.

I assume you're looking at the vial's instructions (which suck). They don't have enough yeast in the vial, so they tell you to pitch warm, and hold it there until fermentation begins and then reduce the temperature. That is supposed to compensate somewhat for not using enough yeast. If you actually go to their website, the info on 810 yeast is this;

WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast
This yeast is used to produce the "California Common" style beer. A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics. Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers.
Attenuation: 65-70%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 58-65°F

In any case, it's about done now so you can just wait it out.

So, after 90 hours in the FV, I checked the gravity today to find it at it's FG, maybe .001-.002 off. OG was 1.052 and it's now at 1.013. Smells wonderfully hoppy and maybe a bit fruity, probably due to the slightly higher temps, from what I understand that can release some esters that might give that characteristic.. I'm not complaining though, I think it smells absolutely delicious. Will be racking to the Carboy tonight or tomorrow. I'll snap a pic and post it here because I'm fairly proud of my work.

Thanks guys.

ALL, the OP is making a STEAM beer, so it would be proper to use lager yeast but ferement at ale temps, which is what defines the STEAM style.

OP, you are OK following the instructions, and the quick fermentation you described would be typical for a lager yeast at 70-75 ambient temps. You will get some off flavors like everyone described, but most of these off flavors are what defines the STEAM style you are trying to achive. The rest will condition out, just be patient with it.

Just keep following the directions, and you'll be good.

TopherM said:
ALL, the OP is making a STEAM beer, so it would be proper to use lager yeast but ferement at ale temps, which is what defines the STEAM style.

OP, you are OK following the instructions, and the quick fermentation you described would be typical for a lager yeast at 70-75 ambient temps. You will get some off flavors like everyone described, but most of these off flavors are what defines the STEAM style you are trying to achive. The rest will condition out, just be patient with it.

Just keep following the directions, and you'll be good.

Like yooper mentioned earlier 75F is too warm if you are measuring ambient temps. The temps are closer to 80+ inside the primary fermenter during the active part of fermentation. Lower to mid 60's ambient would keep your internal ferm temps closer to the desired range of 70+.

Just sayin'.

I like you Topher. Not to say the opposite should be said for the rest. This is my first brew (not counting the Mr. Near-Beer I did a few months ago), quite a learning experience, and I appreciate the feedback from you all.

I'll aim for ~65 for my next ale/steam brew. Guess I gotta score a digital thermostat for the spare fridge. South Texas weather sucks - unpredictable and generally too ****ing hot.

Back