RIMS question: why doesn't my element turn on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikrocks

Reaction score
So, basically, I inserted a two wire toggle switch between the element and the SSR so that I could plug the control box in without worrying about burning the element out--so I can start the recirculation and then flip on the power to the element.

For some reason, though, there's no power going to the element when I flip the switch on and attempt to autotune the PID. I'm wondering if there's an error in my wiring that I'm missing.

Here's my wiring diagram (modified from SawDustGuy's RIMS For Dummies):

erikrocksRIMSdiagram.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I can't find the manual for that exact model number, but it looks like on the 2362, the AC in is terminal 1 and 2 on the PID. You show terminal 2 and 3. Just spit ballin' here.

I can't find the manual for that exact model number, but it looks like on the 2362, the AC in is terminal 1 and 2 on the PID. You show terminal 2 and 3. Just spit ballin' here.

I just double checked--I labeled my diagram wrong. My neutral is connected to the 1 and hot to the 2 on the PID.

For clarification's sake, my PID turns on but the element doesn't.

I just double checked--I labeled my diagram wrong. My neutral is connected to the 1 and hot to the 2 on the PID.

For clarification's sake, my PID turns on but the element doesn't.

Your wiring looks ok to me. Remember too, that until you set the PID past a set point for it to activate, there will be no signal to the SSR and no power to the element. You can check that with a multi-meter from the PID output, you should be getting ~ 8 VDC from terminals 6 and 7. If your not getting the output voltage, it's in the PID programming.

Is the polarity correct on 6 (positive) and 7 (negative)?

Polarity's correct.

I currently have the PID set to 62* and my water is 51*. So shouldn't the element turn on?

Also, doesn't autotune override the set points in order to generate parameters?

Polarity's correct.

I currently have the PID set to 62* and my water is 51*. So shouldn't the element turn on?

Also, doesn't autotune override the set points in order to generate parameters?

Yes, it should activate the element if the hysteresis is not too far off. Try bumping it up to about 95 and see what happens.

I believe autotune does override everything.

I have to ask: did you test with a light bulb instead of an element or use a multimeter to determine continuity and/or switch functions? I would troubleshoot by eliminating the PID from the circuit first. Then double check your programming parameters in the PID itself. I can't see anything in your wiring that would cause the element to not energize.

I touched my light bulb "tester" neutral and hot to the N and H element screws and no light. I then bypassed the toggle switch and did the same and, again, no light.

Are the screws on the element neutral/hot specific?

I touched my light bulb "tester" neutral and hot to the N and H element screws and no light. I then bypassed the toggle switch and did the same and, again, no light.

Are the screws on the element neutral/hot specific?

No. Polarity doesn't matter there. Try your light from the hot and neutral line directly. I know it sounds stupid, but bulbs do burn-out. I take it you don't have a meter?

I don't have a meter. I'll do a few more light bulb tests. THanks.

Yes. A meter makes life a lot easier, and they are pretty cheap. But, you have to work with what you have at hand. IMO, the key to effective troubleshooting is to eliminate parts of the circuit until you isolate the cause. I would check your circuit and switches by eliminating the PID. I have a sneaking suspicion that is your problem. Auber tech support is really good too, they'll walk you through the process for programming. Good luck.

Ugh! So stupid...I left my neutral to the element open! Everything works perfectly now! Looking forward to brewday this Saturday with my new RIMS system!

Thanks for your responses, Reelale. Sometimes that's all it takes to discover a simple answer to a simple problem.

Great! Once you get that thing auto-tuned it will work great. You're gonna love it.

Back