What can I ferment alongside my Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
Ok, so in a couple of weeks I'm going to be brewing a Kolsch. I plan on fermenting it at around 62 degrees or so. I can fit 2 carboys in my fermentation fridge, but am not quite sure what else I should brew to go in there with it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should brew that can ferment at the lower temps I'll be using for the Kolsch? Thanks!

Just about any ale. Many yeast strains ferment very "cleanly" at 62 degrees- that's where I ferment almost all of my ales, unless I'm trying for a very fruity ale.

I know Jamil Z. recommends brewing hefeweizens at 62 instead of high 60's in 'Brewing Classic Styles'. I can't remember the reason off the top of my head but it brought out some flavor perfectly.

Just about any ale. Many yeast strains ferment very "cleanly" at 62 degrees- that's where I ferment almost all of my ales, unless I'm trying for a very fruity ale.

I've really been wanting to do a Belgain Wit, but was afraid 62 was a bit low on the spectrum. Didn't want the yeast to fall asleep on me.

Yeah, most ales can work at that temp pretty well. But, some styles that particularly benefit from that temp include Alts and California Common beers.

Yeah, most ales can work at that temp pretty well. But, some styles that particularly benefit from that temp include Alts and California Common beers.

Those two do come to mind immediately! But, I also would think of pale ales, and stouts, and milds, and porters, and IPAs. A "clean" well-attenuating ale yeast like S05, or WLP001 (I believe the company says 65 minimum, but it's awesome at 62) or Wyeast 1056, or Nottingham would work well. I used pacman yeast a couple of times at 60 degrees, and was thrilled with it. I've also used Pacific ale yeast in the low 60s with great results. I've used Nottingham down to 57 degrees.

A wit may be better at a higher temperature, but I don't know that. It would depend on the yest strain.

Hmmm....thanks for the input. Maybe I'll look into doing the Cal Common. Being wanting to try one anyway.

Back