Some questions after the first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlarnold

Reaction score
Got my first Ag and first batch ever done in mid January, fermented for a week to 10 days, cant quite remember at this point and, stupid me, forgot to write it down. I ended up with a brew that tasted great, had a bit of orange hint to it but everyone who tried it said it was good. I opened one of the few remaining bottles just the other day and realized that I should have let it age and condition longer, the orange is gone and it tastes even better.

When I mashed, I didn't use all of my grain bill and came up with a low ABV in the end product, was going to mash again but didn't manage my time well enough and didnt get to the other half. Had I done this would it have been better or would I have had more low gravity mash? I will be upgrading to a larger tun for my next batch regardless.

Saw no activity in the airlock, I know that this is brought up all the time, "no bubbles is it working?" and all that, was that the low gravity or did i have plenty of head space in my fermenter?

Before i started the batch my swmbo had very little faith in me and now shes begging me to make the next how many have had that problem?

Not mashing all your grain bill means you get less sugar (gravity) in the wort.

So mashing the whole planned grainbill is what you want to do to raise the starting gravity.

If your airlock doesn't bubble but your gravity goes down, you have fermentation going on, and a leak in the bung or bucket lid. Gas ALWAYS takes the path of least resistance...a hole is easier than an inch of water in the airlock...even a pin hole.

Before i started the batch my swmbo had very little faith in me and now shes begging me to make the next how many have had that problem?

My wife wants me to brew more fruit beers for her, she loves them. But as long as I keep her all stocked up with SkittleBrau I can brew anything I want for myself. :)

Back