undercarbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dheide

Reaction score
My most recent batch seems to be undercarbonated. I prime each bottle using regular table sugar (I know, I know, not the right way, but that's how I do it). My first 4 batches have come out fine, but this fifth batch is a little flat. Do you think I could add more sugar to each bottle, or will that make things worse? The beer also tastes a little cidery. It's been carbonating for three weeks now, the last week being in my 115 degrees Las Vegas garage. Any suggestions? I use all Mr. Beer products if that helps any.

Thanks-
Dave

cidery winey taste could be coming from your table sugar,(But its a small percent of your fermentables), brewing temps, and yeast. Not to familiar with Mr. Beer but, I have been using 1oz of corn sugar per gallon of finished beer with wonderful carbonation results. I would not recommend priming in the bottle unless you use the priming tablets. But what ever works for you. Take a couple of bottles and try it that way you wont ruin the whole batch if it does not work. The garage is probably a little hot for bottle conditioning, but I have not had any problems in my closet at 70F to 80F. Also what is your fermenting temp? Keep it to 70F or below that will jack things all up if you are fermenting to hot.(follow the temps on the yeast package) We want the yeast to get of to a quick start but we dont want them to work to fast. Also how much lag time did you have from the time you pitched the yeast before you seen signs of fermentation????? There are many factors that can contribute to your problem, and I have had every problem imaginable, I have poured out my share of batches but since I learned to clean (PBW) then sterilize my equipment, keep my fermentation temp down, pitch larger quanities of yeast, and be patient I have been able to enjoy mass quanities of homebrew lately! Good Luck!

I was wondering if the fermenting temp. had anything to do with it. The temperature in my closet is in the mid to upper 70's, so maybe it's too hot. I've been brewing the same way since January (same techniques, same places, etc.), and this batch is the same type of beer as my first batch (a typical light ale). The only difference would be the temperature I guess. I don't really have the capabilities to lower the fermenting temp. so maybe I'll just have to brew a bunch of beer next spring to last through the summer. Thanks for the advice and info!

Dave

Also, the lag time between pitching the yeast to when the fermentation started was maybe twleve hours at the most. The fermentation did seem to happen quicker than usual (krausen coming and going in only three or four days). So hotter temps will cause the yeat to work too fast, which is not a good thing? I thougnt it was kinda odd that the fermenting seemed done so quickly.

there are some very cheap and easy ways to keep the fermentation temp down. the most common is the swamp bucket design. you get a large tub, you probably already have one, put your fermenter in it, whether it be bucket or carboy, and fill with cold water. put a towel over the fermenter but in the water, so it wicks water up and around the fermenter. put a fan on this to evaporate the water. check the temp of the wort at this point. easiest way is to use a stickon thermometer, you can a get a 'brewmometer' i believe at the LHBS, or go to walmart and get an aquarium one, which is good enough for ales. if the temperature of the wort is still not low enough, freeze 2L bottles of water, and daily rotate them as necessary to maintain temps.

me personally, i waited until i found a cheap chest freezer (craigslist is amazing) and bought a temperature controller to convert it into my fermentation chamber. best of luck!

I just have a plastic tub I bought from walmart. I fill it with water and use frozen water jugs to keep the temp down and just submerge my carboy in the water. It stays around 64Fto 66F. Still not ideal but it works for me. All I do is switch the frozen jugs out every day and its been working great for me. It just takes up space I have to worry about the kids playing with the airlock. Once its ready to bottle I use several frozen jugs to get it down to about 40Fto 45 for two or three days then I bottle. At first I was worried about large temperature swings but it stays around 64 to 66.

Back