scales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endlesssurf

Reaction score
hey everyone i was wondering what scales to purchase i was thinking about a triple beam balance but i dont want to spend all that much. and are there any good places to buy said scale?

I purchased a WeightMax W-2822 scale that can handle up to 35#/16kg, Graduation: 0.1oz/5g, a postal rating. I've been told by the postal services that 0.2oz scales are not postal rated.

This 35# scale comes with 9 volt battery and a 9 volt ac adapter. It was on ebay and I recall only $13 including shipping that I paid 5 months ago. Their repair facility is less than 15 miles away so I ordered one and am happy with it so far. To be postal rated it must weigh in items within 0.1oz or less.
That is a great buy but it's made in China. What isn't these days?

I scored an ohaus triple beam off some stoner dude garage sale a few years back for $1. :rockin:

Head shop (er, I mean "local alternative tobacco goods store"), or ebay, should be less than $20 either way. Digital scales rock. Balance scales are a PITA.

If you don't need a monster scale, this one is great. Kitchen Scales by Escali - The Primo It can be used for grains (up to 11lbs.) and it's accurate enough for hops. You can find them cheap on ebay.

This is the one they use at my LHBS and it's the one I plan on getting. It's accurate down to 0.1 ounce (or 1 gram, which is actually more accurate, .03 ounces) and as mentioned will scale up enough to measure grain. Seems to work good and is cheap.

EDIT: I should say, this is the one they have for the customers to use. I don't know what 'they' use in the back....

I have a small pocket postage scale that can be used with any green leafy substances. Hops

I just got a Salter digital scale. It only has a 12 lb capacity but I love the offset feature. I can put a bowl on it, hit offset, and it goes back to zero, then it just measures whats in the bowl. I used a small dollar store scale 1lb capacity scale for a while, worked well for measuring hops anyway.

A word of caution if you choose an Escalli scale
Set the display to read in lbs and oz, and what does the following read?
lb oz
3: 12

I though it read 3 lbs 12 oz, but it actually reads 3 lb 1.2 oz.
To get 3 lb 12 oz, you need to see
lb oz
3:120

OK they do display a decimal point between the oz and 1/10's oz, but it's so close to the bottom of the display that I can't see it unless I switch the backlight on.

-a.

Back