What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got these today:

1# Citra
1# Galaxy
1# Mosaic
0.5# Azacca
and some waterless airlocks

20160114_211445.jpg

Pretty unique, those waterless airlocks...May just have to see about trying one out!1st Google search site(farmhousebrewingsupply) were out, Rebel Brewing has them, but looks like a different design..

Yeah, the idea of these airlocks is pretty cool. It is essentially a 1 way valve. It lets pressure out but not in. They could be useful for cold crashing carboys and starters. When the temp drops, there is a tendency for the carboys and starters to suck the fluid in from the airlock. These don't have that problem. They should create a small vacuum that will keep out air.

Got my 5 gallon cooler and 5 gallon pot in the mail today! Now that I have the apartment space, it was time for the equipment to go up from one gallon all-grain batches to three gallon batches!

(Yeah, those are still small batches, I know, but I'll save the step up to even larger for when I eventually, hopefully, have a garage. I'm still excited!)

Yeah, the idea of these airlocks is pretty cool. It is essentially a 1 way valve. It lets pressure out but not in. They could be useful for cold crashing carboys and starters. When the temp drops, there is a tendency for the carboys and starters to suck the fluid in from the airlock. These don't have that problem. They should create a small vacuum that will keep out air.

Not to go off topic, but why would you want one of those on a starter? The whole point of a starter is to let air in. Without air getting in, the yeast growth is reduced substantially.

Not to go off topic, but why would you want one of those on a starter? The whole point of a starter is to let air in. Without air getting in, the yeast growth is reduced substantially.

In growth phase, I use a foam stopper and a stir plate. But when I cold crash it to drop the yeast, I can put one of these on and prevent air from getting into it while it is sitting in the fridge.

Just got my shipment from jaded brewing: Cyclone cfc, Whirly Mammoth whirlpool arm and new 3 piece ball valve. So excited to get these into use this weekend or Monday. I don't have a water line in the garage, so in the winter I have to haul the hot kettle to the basement or use a pond pump to circulate ice water through the my old IC.
I took me 40 minutes to chill a batch this week, can't wait to see how much this improves that time.

20160115_105213.jpg

Last edited:
Got my 5 gallon cooler and 5 gallon pot in the mail today! Now that I have the apartment space, it was time for the equipment to go up from one gallon all-grain batches to three gallon batches!

(Yeah, those are still small batches, I know, but I'll save the step up to even larger for when I eventually, hopefully, have a garage. I'm still excited!)

Hey man as long as you are brewing thats all that matters. Cheers!!!

Actually yesterday(Friday), but what the hey...Got my shipment of new brew kits from BBS..Behind the kits, just peeking out, are 2 bottles of Peanut Butter powder for the Peanut Butter Porter-am gonna use the Chocolate Peanut Butter in it! :) Also got some hops bags and grain bags(might be visible on top of white pail)...Fun stuff! :D

Fri 115 mail.jpg

Got my order from AHS! :D
AHS Kalamazoo IPA a clone of Bell's Two Hearted Ale
AHS Chocolate Stout - gotta love a $20 AG recipe kit!
A Shot in the Dark: A Magical Mystery brew
A Wild Card All Grain Recipe: What will you get?

I like living dangerously!LOL 2 'mystery' kits! Gotta tell ya tho, the Shot in the Dark grain bill is BIG! 14LBS!!:eek:

First liquid yeast through the only Thai place that offers it,after a three week wait.
1400Baht for the two.
$1= 32Baht

you absolutely need to look into overbuilding your starters and harvesting yeast from them to work around those infalted prices

Wow, I hadn't realized what a pound of whole hops looked like. I hope the little lady doesn't need to put anything else in the freezer for a while!!!
I also got my new Wilserbag so I am ready for a brew day. It's been raining here in Central Northern California so I'm hoping for some appropriate weather soon. It's not too cold but I don't care to brew in the rain.

Tiny 15K BTU propane tank top heater. Not shockingly it raises the temp in my enclosed trailer from 12 f to 55 f (area about 16' x 8' x 7') to 55 f in about 15 minutes. Shockingly, 30 minutes later stil did not set off the CO detector.

We will have heat at the track if AL stil stays in the teens!

Plastic BMB. After I discovered my glass carboy had developed a crack most of the way around the base as I was cradling it in my bare arms cleaning it out...

An ounce each of Chinook and citra from a free shipping hop sale. Free shipping in Canada and the prices were better than my local shop. Not vacuum sealed but I can do that myself.

My first piece of brewing kit arrived, 3/8"x50' wort chiller from NY Brew Supply. Ordered on Monday and received on Wednesday, can't beat that for standard shipping.

(I was, however, able to buy a Bayou SP10 burner and stainless 40 qt pot locally. The rest is scheduled to arrive Friday so hopefully I'll run my first full boil extract batch this weekend.)

12508977_1280373358646892_2971669698675101593_n.jpg

Funny that! I got my wort chiller today as well! :D 3/8" x 25' tho..Will come in handy next weekend(weather permitting) when I also get to christen my propane burner and get an all grain batch going! :D

Tracking my delivery of chinook and azacca hops, should bee there any minute. Also ordered some filter pads to see if they'll work in my plate filter.

HID's for the new car and tint all around.

Also not pictured an extract kit for a California common. I just moved into a new house and not in the mood to unpack everything to do an all grain batch LOL

Photo Jan 15, 5 33 16 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 20, 8 52 37 PM.jpg

Latest posts

Back