Newbie here...no idea what I'm doing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I (like a bunch of you , I am sure) got a Mr. Beer for Christmas and can't wait to start! I have always envied the guys who can "brew their own"...so...can't wait to get to the good stuff! See you all around the forums--any suggestions for intro sticky's to read first?

Hell I was like you and after spending some serious time doing research I decided the to skip the Mr.beer and go straight for the 5 gallon batches. I'm so glad I did! It's not hard at all and in fact I have my first 5 gallon batch getting kegged tommarow! whoot!

Good luck with your adventure lots of helpful people here and LOTS of good info!

Cheers,

If you "think" you might go to the next level of better brew, then start saving up some coins. Homebrewing is cheaper than the store crap, but there is an initial investment that most people get turned off by.

Hey there, fellow Mr. Beer recipient! My father got me one of these kits and a couple of their refill kits. I made the one that came with the kit, but I didn't like how they truncated the process. The instructions left me wondering just what the hell I was doing and in the end, I was left with a plastic bottle full of god knows what.

So I ask this:

What the hell is Booster? It came in a little bag and looked like big grain sugar. What was the stuff in the can that I had to heat up before I poured into the pot with the booster? Was that the malt or the wort? The instructions led me to believe that the stuff in the can and the water with the booster made wort, but it wasn't particularly clear.

To be honest, I've gone over the first couple of chapters in How To Brew and I'm about ready to grab a big bucket and just dive into the proper process. Mr Beer may have left me questioning everything, but it was the kick in the ass that I needed to get going and do it right.

Mr. Beer :rockin:

It'll give you a good beer. And you'll think Hey....I made that and it's less than store bought. Then you'll figure you like it and can make great beer at half the cost. Then you'll make 5 gallon batches and think mmmm. 3lb of extract is $10....I can get 10lb of grain for $5 and make beer better than the big boys.

Welcome to the world of AG.:mug:

orfy said:
Mr. Beer :rockin:

It'll give you a good beer. And you'll think Hey....I made that and it's less than store bought. Then you'll figure you like it and can make great beer at half the cost. Then you'll make 5 gallon batches and think mmmm. 3lb of extract is $10....I can get 10lb of grain for $5 and make beer better than the big boys.

Welcome to the world of AG.:mug:

Ah, yes. Mr Beer certainly is the gateway drug of our particular habit isn't it. That's how I and many others got started. SWMBO still reminds me that it was she who set me down that path. And whenever she rolls her eyes at my latest purchase (or the 15 gal conical that's become a permanent fixture in our kitchen), I remind HER that it was all her original idea.

Welcome to the club,
Focus

RichBrewer said:
I moved it for you.:rockin:
Welcome to HBT. Stay with us and before long you will be brewing 5 gallon batches. :mug:

And not long after that you'll be brewing 10 gallon batches, harvesting your own yeast, mashing your own grain, kegging your own beer, etc, etc,etc............:mug:

Welcome!!!

Rapscallion Jones said:
What the hell is Booster? It came in a little bag and looked like big grain sugar. What was the stuff in the can that I had to heat up before I poured into the pot with the booster? Was that the malt or the wort? The instructions led me to believe that the stuff in the can and the water with the booster made wort, but it wasn't particularly clear.

Booster is corn sugar. Thats it :) As you learn more about the brewing process it will be come clear that the Mr. beer set up is for lack of a better term...cracker jack. :) It's great to show beginers the basic overall process and spark the love for home brewing.

I started with a Mr.beer and like others have said it will make...ok beer. But if you want beer that tastes as good if not better (in most cases) than store bought, then save up a couple hundred bucks and get a real beginer/intermidate set up. Trust me you wont regret it! :D Then you can start making recipes and clones of your favorite store bought beers for less than half the price!

It's a wonderful thing. :mug:

Back