10 gallon batch, two different colors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimba009

Reaction score
I have been brewing 10 gallon batches for about 4-5 months now and noticed something for the first time. The wort is two completely different colors in the carboys. Anyone ever experience this? I am guessing it is just the cold break that settled more while siphoning. :confused:

Happens to me all the time. Comes out of the same kettle, same yeast starter... It bothered me at first but now I just shake my head and have another beer.

The wort will stratify somewhat in the kettle as you cool it, that means different amounts of particulates in each carboy. The colors should be much closer after the beer clears.

I have been brewing 10 gallon batches for about 4-5 months now and noticed something for the first time. The wort is two completely different colors in the carboys. Anyone ever experience this? I am guessing it is just the cold break that settled more while siphoning. :confused:

How do you move the wort from the brew pot to the fermenter? As noted stratification is likely the cause.

Do you measure OG and FG in each vessel? Is it the same? Do the batches taste or smell different or is it 100% visual?

I siphon from the brew pot to the carboys one at a time. OG and FG are close enough that i have been only keeping the average written down. From what i can tell it is purely visual only in the carboy. The kegs have tasted similar and the appearance is only slightly different. Head retention and carbing are pretty solid as well. This is just the first one that has really caught my eye. Is wheat more likely to cause this than a complete barley grist?

The batch in question is still in the carboys. Haven't had the chance to taste it other than the explosive blow off from the darker one.

Back