Turkey fryer (or something similar) recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nibiyabi

Reaction score
My first batch took about 2.5 hours to bring from 170º to boiling last time, so I absolutely need to invest in a high-powered propane burner for next time. I hear a lot of people talking about using turkey fryers, but I have a hard time finding anything but complete turkey fryer setups for several hundred dollars complete with 90% crap I don't need, like meat tenderizers and giant pots when I already have my 8-gallon wort boiler.

Does anyone have a link to a high-quality (or at least reasonable-quality) standalone boiler I can use in my garage that has enough juice to bring 5-6 gallons to a boil in no time flat? I only ended up with about 4-4.5 gallons of beer for my first batch because I lost so much water from the incredibly long boil (although in that particular case it's probably a good thing because it was going to be a pretty weak beer anyway).
Anyway, cheers. :ban:

You don't want that butane burner. I don't estimate that would do any better than an electric cook top. You want the propane burner on the bottom of the page.
Or you can swing by a swap meet and I'm sure you can find something there.

I have the bayou classic, which came with a turkey fryer kit; burner, 30qt AL pot, etc. It was plenty of power for 5 gallons batches, almost overpowered since you have to turn it down to almost the off position to keep from boiling over :D. I just recently picked up it's big brother, the SQ-14 from Amazon: Amazon.com: Bayou Classic SQ14 Single Burner Outdoor Patio Stove: Patio, Lawn & Garden.

Killer burner, nice sturdy cooking surface all for $50 shipped to your door. Took mine about a week from purchase to delivery. The turkey fryer kit that I bought was at Home Depot on sale for $38, but they no longer stock that item. It is available on Amazon for $66, but if you already have a boil kettle I'd just grab that SQ-14. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a craigslist search for turkey fryer in your area. You can usually pick one up for pretty cheap on there.

Home Depot has the Bayou Classic SQ14 as a "Patio Stove" for under $50 in my local store. It should be available chain wide.

I'd look in the classifieds first though. Maybe a want ad. Turkey fryers where huge for a while and you'll be surprised how many people bought one and never used it.

Check out some of the threads along the lines of 'better stove top', 'insulation keg/kettle' etc. (too lazy to search). Burner will definitely help, but also insulating your keg to help focus and maintain heat.

Back