3 Pounds of honey and fermenation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shattstar03

Reaction score
I recently brewed a red ale and added 3 pounds of honey for the first time. Here was my recipe

6lb Pale Malt Extract
2lb Amber Malt Extract
3lb Orange Blossom Honey
1 lb 80L Crystal (Grain)
1/2 lb (levabon) Crystal
1/4 lb of Red Wheat (for color)
2 ounces of cenntenials 60 mins
1 1/2 ounces of cascade (last min boil)
I pitched White Labs California Ale Yeast

I added the honey right at flame out to preserve the aroma, I never used this much honey before.

I didn't take a gravity reading.. unfortunately I got too drunk when my friend brought over a couple of beers called "The Beast" from Avery Brewing, along with a few homebrews we had during the boil, the thought of a gravity reading slipped my drunken mind. Now I'm forced to fly blind on this one.

The beer has been fermenting for almost 3 weeks in my primary, the bubbling has stopped significantly, however, it was peculating heavily during the first week, I had to put a blow tube off and on because it would die down (I would think the bulk of the fermentation would be done), then suddenly it would it shoot back up. This never happened before to me before.

So my question is, when would it be safe for me to transfer into the secondary fermentor, so I can begin to dry hop? Or is it safe for me to just throw in some hops in the primary and just dry hop from there until the beer is done?

I don't know the gravity, so all this needs to be done by intuition.... One valuable lesson I learned is to not invite old college buddies to boils.. gets you in major trouble... (luckily I had no boil over)

take another in 2 or three days, if it's the same, it's all good.it may drop a bit more with all that honey, if it's still dropping, just wait til it's stable over 2 or three days before moving.

Latest posts

Back