sugar or malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonj

Reaction score
Can anyone try and explain the differences to the finished beer when using sugar in the boil compared to using malt?

I've read that sugar makes the beer drier while the malt gives the beer more depth..... does this sound right?

cheers,
Simon.

I have used both sugars and malt extracts to brew pre-hopped canned kits, I assume this is not the type of brew you are making as you mention a boil.

With the sugars the beer turned out ok but the best way to describe it is as a little 'thin', one of my friends described it as being very watery, of course it still has plenty of alcohol.

Once I tried using dry malt extract instead of sugars there was a noticable difference to the quality, it felt fuller, had alot more body and just tasted alot closer to a 'real' beer.

I would not advise anyone to use sugars rather than malt in there brewing, the price difference is pretty small considering the difference in quality I experienced.

Hope that helps a little!

Back