Primitive/Improvised Methods Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this thread. I have used open pit w/ mesquite, and never got smoke into the beer. I would try dipping whatever local fruit is available into the wort for a wild yeast. +1 on harvesting yeast from a commercial beer if that doesn't break the rules. I don't like the use of plastic, but I'm sure you feel the same and were just using what you had. Why not chill overnight in kettle, then transfer to glass? Also I would think your false bottom would be more primitive than the bucket. I think we should all chip in a buy you a couple oak barrels for writing such a great thread. We are all inspired.

I love this thread. I have used open pit w/ mesquite, and never got smoke into the beer. I would try dipping whatever local fruit is available into the wort for a wild yeast. +1 on harvesting yeast from a commercial beer if that doesn't break the rules. I don't like the use of plastic, but I'm sure you feel the same and were just using what you had. Why not chill overnight in kettle, then transfer to glass? Also I would think your false bottom would be more primitive than the bucket. I think we should all chip in a buy you a couple oak barrels for writing such a great thread. We are all inspired.

Good points. I got rid of my glass carboys after one tried to kill me a few years back. I've been toying with the idea of a clay water pot for my second attempt.

The bucket was just at hand and wasn't a big investment if it failed. As well as the buffalo grass filter bed worked I could have used anything. I will probably use a wood frame with buffalo grass next time.

I can't make barrels but I was thinking about making some kind of wood vessel for fermenting. Infection seems a foregone conclusion so maybe open top?

Good points. I got rid of my glass carboys after one tried to kill me a few years back. I've been toying with the idea of a clay water pot for my second attempt.

The bucket was just at hand and wasn't a big investment if it failed. As well as the buffalo grass filter bed worked I could have used anything. I will probably use a wood frame with buffalo grass next time.

I can't make barrels but I was thinking about making some kind of wood vessel for fermenting. Infection seems a foregone conclusion so maybe open top?

You could hollow out a relatively thick well dried oak log (well any hardwood really). Then take a blow torch and give it a light toasting. Before you do the hollowing out of the log you could cut a cap piece off so you have a wood lid you can lay on top should presumably lay pretty flat on top. Pick a tall, relativel thick log and you should be able to get a 5 gallon "barrel" pretty easily.

If you have some huge spade bits you could just drill out as deep as you can into the log, then make a octagon/circular pattern drilling a bunch of holes into the log. Take a chisel and knock those out and smooth out the edges, then keep going until you have sufficient volume vessel. It's probably a lot of work, but its probably easier than making your actual barrel (probably cheaper than buying a barrel as well).

It is still going. Looks like the Brett is chewing its way through.

It tastes, well... very bretty. I don't think that's a word. Anyways the smoke is almost entirely gone or completely masked by the Brett. It should be interesting when its carved and cooled.

I've had my hands full with a bunch of other projects but once I get those tied up I am going to start building up for version 2.

I wonder if maybe the smokiness was entirely just ash and burnt oil from the wood stuck to the stones when you placed them in the wort. Does anyone else have experience with Brett rauchbiers? This is a fascinating experiment to follow.

I pulled a few soil samples from a few placeson the property. I'm testing them today to see if I can make adobe bricks out of it. If that works that may be the start of version 2.

Results to follow.

It is still alive. The pellicile has dropped about 80%. Another couple weeks and I can probably consider bottling it. I didn't expect this to take this long, but we have come this far...

More pictures are always welcome, still interested in final product. Has a smoked ale at a little 4-H fair that was interesting so this thread has relevance (wish my palate hadn't been shot by a summer cold).

Ok, checked it again. the pellicle is almost completely dropped. I will probably bottle it soon.

I took a sample. It smells like wet hay. It tastes... a lot like wet hay. Not bad actually.

img_20150730_191816-65925.jpg

While I was checking on it, I had a pint of creamed corn lager. Yup, six cans of Safeway brand creamed corn added to the mash. Its amazing.

img_20150730_193449-65926.jpg

And why not? The corn needs to be gelatinized in some fashion! But I guess you could chew it for a while and spit it into the mash pot if you wanted to be awesome.

LOL, love it. I'm sure there was lots of failure in primitive methods also.

Back