Bought my tank!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
So I stopped by the welding supply shop this morning that quoted me a 20lb filled tank for $90. When I got there, the price was $180. I told him that I thought that this was the right place, that I had called and was told $90. I apologized for wasting his time and started walking out. Then he replied "Who told you $90? What did he sound like?" Best I could say was "Spoke English, kind of sounded like you, but it probably wasn't you."

So he agrees to honor the quote. I got the tank for $97.88 after tax (stupid 8.75% sales tax!)

Everything else should be arriving over the next couple of days, so I'm probably on track to keg this weekend.

180?? Are you kidding me? Well at least he honored your quote. 20 lbs will last you forever.

I wonder if that line would work other places "Hi, I was quoted x-amount for this product..."

Chimone said:
180?? Are you kidding me? Well at least he honored your quote. 20 lbs will last you forever.

I wonder if that line would work other places "Hi, I was quoted x-amount for this product..."

That's the hope (that it'll last me forever). Now I need to build something that will hold it upright. That thing is pretty heavy!

I keep my 5 lb in the fridge in between two kegs. It's pretty snug, so its not going anywhere. I tried it with a 20 lb blottle and it doesnt really fit well. I considered picking up another fridge (becasue noone can really have too many kegerators) and mounting the 20lb tank on the outside. Then building a small box out of 2x4's or something easy to keep it upright.

180????? I'd told him to stick up his arshe....especially after you called and obviously that wasn't company policy. Boy, that is STEEP. But, you remained cool and got what you were quoted. I like the part....english, sounds like you....you probably busted him out and he didn't want it coming back on him. Anyway, GOOD SCORE!!!!
One thing you got to check are the connections. I hooked up mine this weekend and thought I had it pretty snug, but it leaked just a tad. You can never tighted the regulator/tank connection enough. If your using hose clamps, screw the screw driver, get the ratched. I think they were quarter inch or less, but tighten the bejesus out of them. I'd hate to read a post Monday describing your pain as you lose 20 pounds of CO2.

Glad you go that settled!

I just got a quote on a mixed nitro/C02 tank - $120 and $20 for exchanges on a 20lb tank. I'm thinking that would make a heck of a christmas present

Lucky!! I had a quote for a filled 10 lb tank for $90.00 and when I went in the total was $180.00 + tax. Told them they quoted alot less but they couldn't find the salesman so I just left after waiting for 20 minutes.:mad: The only other place in town quoted 20 lb filled for $150.00 so I am picking it up tommorrow.They only have 1 salesman so I shouldn't get the same treatment.

I got mine as a wedding present 4 years ago.:ban: 20 pound tank, my friend got it for around $100, including regulator.

I finally filled it for the first time this summer, but that doesn't really count because I took some time off from brewing for about a year and a half.

OK, last night the PBW, gas in, gaso out, O-rings and distributor arrived. I think my regulator will be arriving today.

Can someone give me some tips for cleaning out the kegs? Finally, can I buy the needed ratchets from Home Depot, or are they only available through keg shops? How about tubing?

OH yeah, forgot to mention...

We've decided that we need a new dishwasher since our has been on the dole for about 3-4 weeks now and we hate washing dishes. Wife told me that we should also look for a new fridge so that I can turn the current fridge into a kegerator.

Cheesefood said:
OH yeah, forgot to mention...

We've decided that we need a new dishwasher since our has been on the dole for about 3-4 weeks now and we hate washing dishes. Wife told me that we should also look for a new fridge so that I can turn the current fridge into a kegerator.

Sweet!
Did you already have a fridge before you got the good news, because that fridge is now your new lagerator/fermenter.

Cheesefood said:
OK, last night the PBW, gas in, gaso out, O-rings and distributor arrived. I think my regulator will be arriving today.

Can someone give me some tips for cleaning out the kegs? Finally, can I buy the needed ratchets from Home Depot, or are they only available through keg shops? How about tubing?

I take mine completely apart. I soak all the pieces in PBW. I rinse my keg, then fill it with the PBW solution. I let it sit for about 20-30 minutes. I then throw a 5 gallon plastic pucket over the top of the keg and flip it over (so the keg is inside the bucket upside-down) and let is sit for a while.

I repeat the same steps with sanatizer.

rdwj said:
I take mine completely apart. I soak all the pieces in PBW. I rinse my keg, then fill it with the PBW solution. I let it sit for about 20-30 minutes. I then throw a 5 gallon plastic pucket over the top of the keg and flip it over (so the keg is inside the bucket upside-down) and let is sit for a while.

I repeat the same steps with sanatizer.

rdwj - your 666th post was for me. Shucks.

I might need some help this weekend, it being my first time and all. I need to see if Brew & Grow has the tubing and ratchets I need.

Thanks for the quick advice. Expect a lot of posts from me this weekend on this subject.

Cheese, you don't need anything special to take your kegs apart, just a 7/8" 12 point wrench or deep well socket. The wrench will most likely be the cheaper option if you don't have one already.

4688-wrench.JPG

I take 'em apart completely, hose the hell out of 'em, add some OxyClean, scrub a bit, rinse, sanitize, and put them back together with new o-rings/poppets.

So the guy I've been talking with from CraigsList is still wondering if I want to by his home-made kegerator with a 2-tap faucet for $150. I might actually pick it up from him tomorrow. I think the faucet alone is worth about $120ish.

So excited right now.

I've got 4 kegs soaking in PBW. The hardware is soaking in various sanitizers as well. My distributor is all set up. Everything is ready to rock. My LHBS even started carrying AutoSiphons, so I bought one.

Kudos to my LHBS, by the way. I brought in my regulator, distributor and connectors (that I bought online) and they crimped the hoses to them for me. I bought some DME from them so I didn't feel so cheap. Good people at Brew & Grow in Schaumburg.

It's cool enough outside where I should be able to quickly get my kegs of beer to a drinkable temperature and get them force carbonated. I've gotta try the 4 hour method because I simply can't wait 10 more days.

Ol' Grog said:
...you probably busted him out and he didn't want it coming back on him...

I was in AL and GA last week...I purchased a GA lottery ticket before entering AL. On my return (before I got back to the ATL airport) I stopped for gas and asked the guy at the store to check my ticket...he did, tore it about an inch and crumpled it up and threw it in the trash with the print out from the computer...didn't say anything...odd I thought...I asked for the ticket back (offset winnings with loosing tickets for tax purposes)...I looked at the ticket and handed him $3 for more. He hands me the $3 back and $3 in tickets...said I won $3...now I ask you...when do you think he planned on telling me I won? Does NEVER come to mind? Asswipe! I thought about turning him into the Lottery Commission...still not decided...:mad:

Cheesefood said:
I already tried my three on tap. None were carbonated, but I had to try them.

Won't take long - just a few days usually

Did you get the forward seal taps?

rdwj said:
Won't take long - just a few days usually

Did you get the forward seal taps?

I have cobras for now. When I get a fridge set up, I'll get some real taps. SWMBO is cool and all, but I just dropped a couple bills on this stuff and we had to buy a new dishwasher yesterday.

Cheesefood said:
I have cobras for now. When I get a fridge set up, I'll get some real taps. SWMBO is cool and all, but I just dropped a couple bills on this stuff and we had to buy a new dishwasher yesterday.

Ya, little chunks is always best. I think I got all my tap stuff from micromatic. They have the best prices lines, shanks and stuff, but they don't carry the perlick or shirron faucet. I opted to save a few bucks on the faucet and shipping and have regretted it ever since.

Sticky faucets are annoying!

So last night I wanted to clean out all my kegs to get the Pepsi smell out of them. The first keg I disassembled had some VERY tight nuts on the posts. I had to crank it to hell to get them off. The rest of the kegs were pretty easy to disassemble. I put all the posts in some cleaning solution and PBW'd the kegs, then rinsed them and brought them into the basement to fill. First was the Hefe. First time using an auto-siphon and I'm sold on them. It worked fantastic!

Filled the first keg and put all the hardware one (with new O-rings) with no problems. Second was the Cyser/Maple Wine combo. Again, no problems. Third keg was filled with mead. This was the bastard keg that gave me trouble disassembling it. When I felt it was sufficiently put back together, I brought it to the garage and prepared to hook the kegs up to the tank.

Got the regulator on the tank, had all the outs on the distro turned off and hooked up the hefe. No problem. Then the cyser/maple. No problem. Then the mead. I heard the CO2 leaking and I saw some mead coming out of the out post. So I cranked it as tight as I could but it still leaked. Took everything off, wiped the dust out of the threads and tried again. Still leaked.

Grrr....

Using all my strength I cranked and cranked and cranked until the out post looked tight. Hooked it back up and still the CO2 leaked, but no liquid out of the out post. So I worked on the inpost, cranking and cranking. I had the keg on the ground, I was sitting on it, had a rag wrapped around the wrench and put all 250 of my pounds into tightening it. When it was as tight as I could possibly get it I tried again. Success! No leaks!

The result is that I now have a wrenched back and have been in pain since last night. The Cyser/Maple is a bit too sweet, so I'm hoping that a little carb aging will tone it down. The mead is good and the hefe will be good when it's carbonated. I checked it again this morning and the liquids are nice and cold, but still not bubbly.

I've got the regulator set at 10 pounds and it's holding good pressure. Should be ready before next weekend, right?

homebrewer_99 said:
I was in AL and GA last week...I purchased a GA lottery ticket before entering AL. On my return (before I got back to the ATL airport) I stopped for gas and asked the guy at the store to check my ticket...he did, tore it about an inch and crumpled it up and threw it in the trash with the print out from the computer...didn't say anything...odd I thought...I asked for the ticket back (offset winnings with loosing tickets for tax purposes)...I looked at the ticket and handed him $3 for more. He hands me the $3 back and $3 in tickets...said I won $3...now I ask you...when do you think he planned on telling me I won? Does NEVER come to mind? Asswipe! I thought about turning him into the Lottery Commission...still not decided...:mad:

Guy sounds like an asswipe indeed. I'll bet he makes a few bucks per week off lottery winners - I'd turn him in man.

Can you really claim losing tickets on your taxes? Interesting, even though I don't play the lottery.

I think you can just claim them to offset winnings, I don't think they are deductible off regular income. I'm not an accountant, though.

i guess it is too late, but i wouldn't crank down on the kegs like that. usually something is wrong, and by cranking down, you are just ignoring the problem. next time something happens, you are goign to once again have a hell of time trying to get those posts off. it sounds like it was the poppets. when they finally do go completely bad, you will need to replace them, and it will not be a fun time for your back.

i would recommend you to figure out what kind of kegs you have, then get extra poppets as well as gaskets for the kegs.

also, in the future, you want to be careful of galling the threads, you don't want to destroy your kegs.

gnef said:
i guess it is too late, but i wouldn't crank down on the kegs like that. usually something is wrong, and by cranking down, you are just ignoring the problem. next time something happens, you are goign to once again have a hell of time trying to get those posts off. it sounds like it was the poppets. when they finally do go completely bad, you will need to replace them, and it will not be a fun time for your back.

i would recommend you to figure out what kind of kegs you have, then get extra poppets as well as gaskets for the kegs.

also, in the future, you want to be careful of galling the threads, you don't want to destroy your kegs.

I agree. Something is wrong with that keg. I have 5 kegs and disassemble and clean each time I rack a beer in. All of my posts take very minimal effort to remove and install. Never had any issues with leaks.

What's odd is that it's both posts, not just one. What are the thoughts on putting some graphite on the threads?

chillHayze said:
Guy sounds like an asswipe indeed. I'll bet he makes a few bucks per week off lottery winners - I'd turn him in man.

Can you really claim losing tickets on your taxes? Interesting, even though I don't play the lottery.
Right, what the Bird said...if you win the losing tickets can offset some of your gains. For instance, if you win 10K and have 10k in losing tickets the tax/gains is 0! This is one of the reasons why I "collect" ticket throughout the year...I've even pulled them from the ash trays.

i would check the dip tube o-ring. maybe get double seal o-rings (h-rings are another name?) they allow you to seal without too much force

mcmaster number: 90025K368 for the dip tube ones. i believe they should help, given that the dip tube o-rings are at fault. if the poppet is at fault, i don't think this would help, at least not as much as getting new poppets... next time i order from mcmaster, these are the o-rings i will get along with the other bulk o-rings from mcmaster for post and lid.

If you overtighten the posts then you screw up the o-ring seals. So it is a definate that you need new o-rings now.

I take it the mead was leaking from the bottom of the post. If so, the seal just needs replacing. If it leaked from the very top of the post, then the poppit valve may be bad. I usually just mash the poppet with my fingernail if it is leaking and it usually reseats and stops leaking.

But your problems are from overtightening....

dougjones31 said:
If you overtighten the posts then you screw up the o-ring seals. So it is a definate that you need new o-rings now.

I take it the mead was leaking from the bottom of the post. If so, the seal just needs replacing. If it leaked from the very top of the post, then the poppit valve may be bad. I usually just mash the poppet with my fingernail if it is leaking and it usually reseats and stops leaking.

But your problems are from overtightening....

The problem is that I couldn't get the valves to tighten down to the bottom.

The good news is that it's my mead keg. I'll probably disconnect it from the CO2, put it in my basement and let it be for a while.

Did you replace the o-rings when you got the kegs? One mistake some people make is that they do not put the o-ring on the tube then drop the tube into the hole then screw on the post and tighten it.

They screw up and push the o-ring inside the post and try to screw the post on. The ring gets deformed and wedges itself between the threads and makes a mess and makes it almost impossible to tighten.

Unscrew the post and inspect everything and see if anything looks damaged. I bet you will see the source of your problems.

dougjones31 said:
Did you replace the o-rings when you got the kegs? One mistake some people make is that they do not put the o-ring on the tube then drop the tube into the hole then screw on the post and tighten it.

They screw up and push the o-ring inside the post and try to screw the post on. The ring gets deformed and wedges itself between the threads and makes a mess and makes it almost impossible to tighten.

Unscrew the post and inspect everything and see if anything looks damaged. I bet you will see the source of your problems.

Yes, I put on new O-rings. As I said, these nuts were hard to turn when I was trying to remove them and even worse when I tried to get them back on.

Back