IR Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about one for when I'm chilling the wort. Also useful for tracking down cold spots in the house.

Not a bad price. I've used them before and they work fairly well, although you can get into issues with trying to read an object through steamy environment. It was an older unit, and maybe the newer technology is better for that.

I'm not sure I would trust it for mash temps; the surface temp could easily be a couple of degrees off from where most of the mass of the mash is. For David's application, it would be ideal.

You would definitely need to give that mash a good stir. Even with an insertion type probe, you need to stir bigtime, or the temps could be way off. Been there, done that...

I ussualy stir before I take a reading anyway. The cool thing about this thermometer is that you can get in close for reading of an inch diamiter or pull it out further for an average reading over a larger area.
I'll be brewing up a pumpking ale this week so I'll let ya'll know how it worked.

It looks like a good piece of equipment. I have always been happy with Fluke gear. It would be interesting if you could use a thermometer at the same time for comparison.

Back