What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20190926_125501944_HDR.jpg

An older tripel from the "beer archive".

Been going thru the full ferment chamber blues, just looking at the airlock waiting for things to finish so I can brew again. Kegged my 10gal split batch and my mini batch of bitter today nothing left to watch.

Empty fermentor jitters already starting to set in, going to work on what to brew next. I over bought fresh hops last fall and still have quite of bit left so thinking something hoppy. Last couple days it was close to 100F, hoping the weatherman's forecast for low 70s this weekend is accurate.

Ok silly but what I did for beer today...was get sick. It's either the flu or the mother of all colds; achy, hacky dry cough, head feels like it's about to explode, , mid-grade fever, and just general fatigue. Why is that something I did for beer today? Original intention for tonight was to keg the Northern Brewer Blonde that's been crashing since Sunday, now it will have to sit for a while longer, which won't hurt it, and might make it better. I don't think I could move that damn carboy more than 6 inches one way or another. Oh well. Beer is mostly water, right? and I need to hydrate, right? So if I'm sipping on a lower ABV lager I'm pretty much doing myself some good, right??? Yes I know alcohol ain't the best thing when you're sick, but it makes me feel better. Snort hack cough groan. I HATE being sick. First time in about 5 years I've fallen victim to the circulating crud.

Ok silly but what I did for beer today...was get sick. It's either the flu or the mother of all colds; achy, hacky dry cough, head feels like it's about to explode, , mid-grade fever, and just general fatigue. Why is that something I did for beer today? Original intention for tonight was to keg the Northern Brewer Blonde that's been crashing since Sunday, now it will have to sit for a while longer, which won't hurt it, and might make it better. I don't think I could move that damn carboy more than 6 inches one way or another. Oh well. Beer is mostly water, right? and I need to hydrate, right? So if I'm sipping on a lower ABV lager I'm pretty much doing myself some good, right??? Yes I know alcohol ain't the best thing when you're sick, but it makes me feel better. Snort hack cough groan. I HATE being sick. First time in about 5 years I've fallen victim to the circulating crud.

With two boys ages 3 and 6 germs are like Pokemon to me, gotta catch em all... No fever but feeling like a wet rag with stuff coming up the throat that could patch a tubeless tire. Apparently affecting the train of thought as well as late last night was in the garage, wrestled the fermenter bucket about to be bottled out from behind all the others, onto a bench, onto a table, onto a bench on the table to get it high enough, wheezing took a step back and a swig off a beer can, took a better look at the label, wrong damn bucket! So today after work gotta get it back down and heave the right one onto the pedestal so it can settle for a couple hours before bottling...

Accidentally dropped an unclean binder clip into my wort during a hop stand at ~160 degrees. I have no idea why I hadn't cleaned/sanitized it. The beer should be fine, I hope.

The beer in question is a wheat ale using a lot of Mighty Axe's 'Julius' variety of Cascade hops and Voss kveik pitched at 95F. I'm excited by this one. Tried doing a two-step mash for the first time so that was fun!

Accidentally dropped an unclean binder clip into my wort during a hop stand at ~160 degrees. I have no idea why I hadn't cleaned/sanitized it. The beer should be fine, I hope.

The beer in question is a wheat ale using a lot of Mighty Axe's 'Julius' variety of Cascade hops and Voss kveik pitched at 95F. I'm excited by this one. Tried doing a two-step mash for the first time so that was fun!

Are you hoping to combine the purported Julius orange flavor with the purported Kviek orange flavor?
I am interested in the outcome.

Just moving fermenters around to proper temperature zones in the house. I have a Dragonmead Final Absolution clone still fermenting after five days. I started it low 64-66F and now it's at 68-70F. Bringing up a couple of old ales from the basement to get them at a higher temp for a bit. Boring stuff.

Cleaned up the garage workshop table which had about a foot thick layer of crap and miscellaneous tools accumulated over time, did a little bottle counting and cand up short so need to order more. Today gotta lift one fermentor on the table so it can settle til the weekend before racking into a bottling bucket and forth into bottles.
Had to get rid of bottles awhile back. Enough for 6 full sets. Now I regret it. Oktoberfest and Peach fruit stand to be bottled today, wife's Milk Stout and a Wee Heavy on deck and a pumpkin and a dunkel on deck. Gonna be a busy few weekends before the beach trip. Habaneros are ready but what to do...

My wife and I bought four milk crates that hold fourteen Grolsch bottles each. The idea is to replace some crappy crates and add to the number needed to hold 239 bottles. I'm still short on crates but getting there. I should never have compromised and bought some of the warped garbage from Home Depot.

Home made. Most of the crates I've seen for sale are cheap, stapled POS's
You're not kidding. I look at those wooden crates and they're laughable, I shun them.
Your work is beautiful but I don't have the skill/patience to produce that. We--my wife and I--opted for the Container Store where they produce better-than-decent milk crates for $8.

You're not kidding. I look at those wooden crates and they're laughable, I shun them.
Your work is beautiful but I don't have the skill/patience to produce that. We--my wife and I--opted for the Container Store where they produce better-than-decent milk crates for $8.

Well, they take a while to make, the corners are dovetailed, and I put internal dividers in so the bottles won't rattle, then finish with polyurethane for any possible leakage. The one in the pic is unfinished. The way I look at it, they are built to last. Here is a pic of some finished ones...
IMG_20190620_065418033_HDR~2.jpg

Busy day: brewed a pumpkin ale, kegged a porter and imperial stout. The porter went on draught, the stout is going to age. Bottled a few of the porters for competition.

Bottled a split yeast batch of floor malted Maris Otter Ordinary Bitter with fresh East Seattle Goldings (these are American goldings but, hey, I live in East Seattle), as well as some English EKG. Yeast was Adnans (tastes infected and had some nasty looking floaties), Premium Bitter and Whitbread. 4 liters of each.

Fever is finally down, just got a bit of a cough and weak as a kitten. Hope to recover enough later today to finally get the Blonde kegged; will be interesting to see what effect an extended (1 week) cold crash had on it. Hardest part is getting the carboy out of the ferment fridge; it's in my big 7.5g glass, heavy as all get out, and the milk crate it's in doesn't offer much in the way of places to hold on to. I'll get it done, dammit.

Brew on!
I recently did an extended cold crash on a Scotch ale (10 days) and noticed no ill effects. In fact, the hydrometer sample was pretty tasty.
Any chance of getting an able body to help lift it out?
Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Yesterday did all of the roof work before it starts to get wet here in Los Angeles (we always need water...): patch where I think a leak is, sweep out the gutters, and most important of all-put the eyebolts in the eaves for next year's hop crop to climb to the roof!

Before and after.
I saw your colored stickers. I'm using small, round stickers that fit on top of the Grolsch bottles but big enough to write a letter denoting which beer (I'll have six kinds in about three weeks). I'm assuming they'll be just sticky enough to reach a glass but come off easily afterward.
Cheers.

Stickers were my wife's idea. It works well. I put a sticker on the corresponding page of my brew log to keep track, and update a sheet that hangs near the beer for guests to know what they're getting into. She's the artist, I keep trying to talk her into designing actual labels, but so far hasn't had the time. I have a few grolsch bottles as well, but they're mostly for kombucha or apfelwein.

Was disappointed with the carbonation level on one of the test bottles of the doppelbock, so added a measured amount of additional priming sugar to the remaining bottles (I was being conservative in the first place, so not entirely surprising). Holy smokes, the foaming started immediately, had to cap in a hurry. Just hope I didn't mess these up...

Was disappointed with the carbonation level on one of the test bottles of the doppelbock, so added a measured amount of additional priming sugar to the remaining bottles (I was being conservative in the first place, so not entirely surprising). Holy smokes, the foaming started immediately, had to cap in a hurry. Just hope I didn't mess these up...
How long did you let it carb up in the bottles and at what temperature? Maybe it just didn't sit long enough (speaking from experience here). I'm always impatient to get the first one cracked...

Wife is working and I'm not scheduled for a shift until Thursday, so I got bored and brewed my first hefeweizen. It's an extract kit with wyeast 3068 that my wife bought for me about a month ago. Hefeweizens are one of my absolute favorite beers, so I'm a bit surprised that its taken me as many brews as it has to make one.

I can't be trusted on my own during a rainy, rainy day.

How long did you let it carb up in the bottles and at what temperature? Maybe it just didn't sit long enough (speaking from experience here). I'm always impatient to get the first one cracked...
It was a month at 68. I only bottled 4 (2 for competition, and 2 to check leading up to said competition) but I re-yeasted with CBC-1 yeast (since it had been lagering for a long time) and added specific amount of priming sugar for each bottle. I'm a kegger these days, and wasn't sure whether to go by the highest or lowest temp when calculating carb level, so I went the conservative route and went by the coldest. Since the carbonation level was disappointing, I added the amount that would bring me to the warmest. But like I said, I had gushers so I have no idea what I'll end up with. Still have one test bottle anyway.

Last edited:
Stickers were my wife's idea.
My wife came up with the idea as well. I was thinking about using colored rubber bands that fit on the flip-top neck but the stickers won out. I just labeled about 80 bottles or so. Working fine. I have a label for the shelf with the code. "Q1" is batch 1 of 2 of the quadrupel and so on.

Last edited:
Back