Starting OG Was Low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I just completed my first home brew. It went fairly well. Just one concern...I took a reading and my OG was 1.062. The recipe says the starting OG should be between 1.064 and 1.068. Is going to be an issue? It says the FG should be 1.012-1.018.

Thanks for the advice.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of my brews tend to be a little lower than what my software tells me. There shouldn't be any issues where you are at.

You are very close in your numbers, don't sweat it.

It could be the software you're using (assuming you are) isn't set to the right efficiency, or maybe your mash wasn't as effective as it could have been.

Either way - you're going to have a fine brew.

Ok, I tried to read the instructions but it wouldn't load. Based on the kit, it sounds like you steeped the grains for 30 minutes, right?
If the temp was too low, you may not have extracted all the sugar from the grains that you could have. Or, maybe it didn't drain 100% when you pulled out the grain bag.

Or, with over 9 lbs of liquid malt, maybe a little was left in the cans/bags that didn't make it into the wort.

Honestly, you were only 2 points away from the range so I wouldn't sweat it at all.

I steeped for 30 min at 155*F. I didnt drain the bag totally before pulling it out.

I dunked the extract container in the boiling wort to get all of it out...oh well.

This is your first brew and you have 79 posts... anyway 2 points is no big deal, don't worry about it. If that's the worst mistake you made on your first brew you did an incredible job!:rockin:

^----------- Yeah, I've been doing a lot of research. All in all it went well. I poured most of the trub into the primary bucket...not sure if that's good or not?

My 50' wort chiller got my 5 gallons down to 73*F in about 12 minutes. I was amazed!

There seems to be an argument breaking out on HBT about trub right now, I've seen it in two threads. I wouldn't worry about it.

well...I got home to find my airlock bubbling every 2 seconds. Pitched at 4:30PM and bubbling like mad at 8:00PM.

I just realized I didn't account for the wort temp when taking my SG reading. It was 1.062 at around 75*F. So that would mean my actual SG would increase by 0.0018 bringing me up to 1.0638.

Back